Orchard Themes: Is "Zones" the only way to make a theme?

Topics: Customizing Orchard, General
Nov 21, 2014 at 11:55 AM
Hi everyone, I'm new here.

Can I make a Orchard theme by just writing pure Razor views? Like normal MVC style? I don't want to use the "Zone" system at all.
Nov 21, 2014 at 3:34 PM
Edited Nov 21, 2014 at 3:34 PM
Hm, good question. I think you can write a theme without zones, but then you couldn't place a widget somewhere. The other question is, why don't you want use zones (or mean you shapes)? It is pretty simple (it is only a '@Zone(Model.Header)' in your layout).
Nov 22, 2014 at 12:44 AM
Edited Nov 22, 2014 at 12:50 AM
I don't want widgets or to use a unique templating system, I just want a CMS and write normal Razor views. So the answer is yes I can do this? But will there be any issues with the routing?
Developer
Nov 22, 2014 at 1:19 AM
You can. You could even write a static HTML page and load content through AJAX if you like. But you would have to do quite some development yourself.
You can write normal Razor views and render them as you see fit.
However, out of the box, Content Items are turned into shapes, which in turn are added to zones. Creating a theme without zones would require you to develop another means of getting your content to the screen.

My advice: embrace Orchard shapes and zones. They are great, and you use Razor much like you would in a vanilla MVC app.

Not sure what you mean with your question about routing issues.
Nov 22, 2014 at 6:01 AM
Edited Nov 22, 2014 at 6:03 AM
Ah ok, thanks a lot. Slightly disappointed, I wish that could've been a viable option.