Move from compiled to source version

Topics: Installing Orchard
Nov 20, 2014 at 9:09 AM
Hi!
I've been using Orchard CMS for a while now but only used it out of the box. Already compiled and ready to go.
Is there a way for me to now move from 1.7 (on live site) to 1.8 source version and perform the upgrade? I want to move to the source version as I want to start customising the CMS and learning MVC more.

If I need to explain anything else, please ask.
Developer
Nov 20, 2014 at 9:48 AM
Absolutely. First of all, carefully read the following article: http://docs.orchardproject.net/Documentation/Upgrading-a-site-to-a-new-version-of-Orchard.

In a nutshell, this is how I would do it:
  1. Download the 1.8.1 source code.
  2. Copy over any 3rd party modules and themes from 1.7 and add these to the Orchard solution file via Visual Studio, and make sure everything builds properly.
  3. Before copying over App_Data and Media from 1.7 to 1.8.1, try running your updated 1.8.1 solution first and try a few features, just to make sure it all works. Because there is no initialized App_Data/Sites/<Tenant>/Settings.txt file yet, you'll see Orchard's setup screen - this is fine.
  4. When done testing, shutdown IIS Express and delete App_Data from 1.8.1, and copy over App_Data and Media from 1.7. Make sure you got your connection string right (and always make sure you have a backup of your database).
  5. Run Orchard 1.8 again, go to the dashboard, enable the Upgrade feature, and perform the relevant upgrade steps.
  6. You should be golden.
Marked as answer by mantaii on 11/20/2014 at 6:15 AM
Nov 20, 2014 at 10:17 AM
Edited Nov 20, 2014 at 10:18 AM
Brilliant - thanks for the guide. I had read the upgrading section but may have missed something as it was a quick scan.

Will give it a go and see how I get on.

Looking forward to getting in to the depths of the source and learning more about Orchard.

Oops! Looks like I have two accounts!
Nov 20, 2014 at 2:15 PM
On a linked subject - if I were just to setup the 1.8 version, with the App_Data and Media from 1.7 but not copy over the modules and themes, would the database through a wobble or could this be done?

Basically I would like a fresh 1.8 with just my content which is mostly blog posts - I have a number of modules installed but I'd prefer to reinstall them on a fresh clean install so I know that they are there for a reason.

I have a number of modules which I've installed over time which I dont use or don't know what they do - it's been that long since I first installed them!

Thanks,