Orchard for Start Ups

Topics: General
Nov 4, 2014 at 8:05 PM
I need a CMS that will give us agile and speed.

We need release split-tests every day.

Do you think Orchard is a good choice?

In other hands for front end we are looking for angularjs

Orchard has a strong theming engine, but I think we wont take advantage ot this.

Any advises? Thanks!
Nov 4, 2014 at 9:02 PM
Edited Nov 4, 2014 at 9:02 PM
For agile release management I think it rather depends on your delivery toolbox and where you host your site (because e.g. Azure has some interesting features here) than the CMS. If you have the suitable toolbox and you know how to use it then you can release very frequently, Orchard won't be a bottleneck (we do this too).

Orchard gives you complete control over the markup and there is also an advanced system for managing client-side resources like scripts and stylesheets so there is no issue with using AngularJS (we use it as well).

Do you have anything more specific in mind?
Nov 4, 2014 at 10:43 PM
Yes, I have a team that comes from Ruby on Rails and from Front End with javascript and angularjs

Normally they use vim in Linux and Notepad++ so the change to Visual Studio or WebMatrix will be very hard.

We need to include and live in the same time small pieces of changes and measure it.

We need a strong booking and availability engine.

We need to do changes daily.

:) I'm afraid with the heavy learning curve of Orchard...

But I think it is smoothest than Ruby on Rails in general.
Nov 4, 2014 at 10:53 PM
If the team comes from such a different background then maybe Orchard is not the right platform for the team or it's not the right team for Orchard? I mean obviously going from Ruby on Linux to ASP.NET on Windows is a huge change: if I think about doing this in reverse I'd probably take the first months getting around Linux alone.

Orchard has a steep learning curve that I think is worth it. Also today, although the documentation still lacks some coverage, there are plenty of full tutorials and courses online that you can use to learn Orchard from the ground up. But... You have to understand ASP.NET, C#, Visual Studio and lastly to some degree Windows first. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that your team will be probably productive in a year.
Nov 4, 2014 at 11:50 PM
If the Team comes from Vim or Sublime, and they want to stick with that, that is absolutely fine, Orchard does not dictate a development environment. Your developers can use plugins like https://github.com/OmniSharp to enable Sublime or Vim to have C# intellisense and a build environment without ever installing Visual Studio. This may make the transition easier. A guy I work with only uses Sublime, and does theme work, no issues.

The learning curve for Orchard can be steep, but take a pluralsight or dojo course and you should be running in no time - both are excellent materials.
Dec 10, 2014 at 4:30 AM
Edited Dec 10, 2014 at 4:31 AM
I'm going to disagree with Nick and agree with Zoltan's first impression. Culturally, Vim, RoR, Linux is way too far from VS, Orchard, Windows. I'd advise against it, I think your developers will be very reluctant to adapt to the new environment, which will create tension and friction. Culture is a powerful thing. Unless they want to learn something completely new.
Dec 10, 2014 at 8:29 AM
I was providing advice if they wanted to stick with an editor they are use too instead of jumping to Visual Studio which is not everyone's cup of tea. I dont see what there is to disagree with!?
Dec 10, 2014 at 3:32 PM
Edited Dec 10, 2014 at 3:37 PM
Finally, I decided it is a necessary jump (use Visual Studio) because productivity and help.

Specially if you don't know the details of .Net VS offers a lot of help to understand errors.

The next chance is to use or not Orchard CMS.

We have two targets:
An ERM + CRM + B2B
A Marketplace

The ERM could be an AngularJS SPA + ASP.NET WebAPI 2 so I think in this moment Orchard is not necessary (because present extra complexity)

But with the Marketplace we have a lot of problems resolved:
  • SEO
  • Friendly urls
  • Theming
  • CMS
  • Payment flow
  • Multilanguage
  • Multiusers
  • Queries (Categories)
  • Workflows (confirmation emails etc.)
  • Authorization / Authentication
Dec 15, 2014 at 7:55 PM
Nick: what I was disagreeing with was to encourage a whole team of devs with a radically different culture to do this jump and underestimate the difficulty. When you say "take a pluralsight or dojo course and you should be running in no time", I couldn't disagree more.

This being said, welcome to @albertoleonTis. We'll be here to help now that you've made that difficult choice.