Migration Assistance from Local Hosting to GoDaddy Hosting

Topics: Troubleshooting
Oct 14, 2014 at 8:37 PM
We have a designer that created our website using Orchard CMS. This website is currently being hosted on a laptop within our offices. We would like to migrate the website to GoDaddy's hosting. I have tried copying over all of the website files to GoDaddy's hosting, changing the CAS trust level to 'Full', and made sure all files have read/write settings. I tried to replicate any settings I saw in IIS on the laptop to match GoDaddy's Plex Hosting settings.

When I try to go to my website, it tries to attempt to load for awhile, but then gives the following:

"Server Error in '/' Application.

The resource cannot be found.
Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Requested URL: /

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.34212"

I also verified the proper .NET version. The only thing GoDaddy could toss out there is that they were unable to find a default document (like index.html). I looked in the structure in both GoDaddy and the laptop hosting the site and could not find any default documents like that in the root directory either or references to a default document in other locations.

Our designer is currently unable to assist and I was hoping someone here might have some experience with GoDaddy or what I have above to provide some help?

Thanks so much in advance.
Coordinator
Oct 14, 2014 at 10:06 PM
Please ensure that IIS is running in Integrated mode on GoDaddy.

Also please look into the log files in /App_Data/Logs on your hosted instance, it will explain what prevents the website from starting.

NB: the fact that the support is concerned by the lack of index.html is a little scary ;)
Oct 14, 2014 at 10:45 PM
Thanks for the quick reply sebastienros!

I did review all the settings and couldn't find anything about IIS and Integrated mode unfortunately. I can always try their support again?

The logs are very bulky and hard to sort through, but I wanted to post a few items I saw:

2014-10-14 12:30:44,650 [7] Orchard.Environment.DefaultOrchardHost - A tenant could not be started: Default
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): The system cannot find the file specified

and a lot of references to items like

Orchard.Data.SessionFactoryHolder.BuildSessionFactory() in c:\Users\User\My Projects\Orchard\src\Orchard\Data\SessionFactoryHolder.cs:line 86

Given those references, is it possible that this was doomed from the start when I tried to copy over the files 'as-is' from the laptop hosting the website because it is making references to locations that would only exist on the local machine? If this is true, there's probably no quick fix short of getting the designer involved, is there?

Thanks again for reaching out!
Coordinator
Oct 14, 2014 at 11:30 PM
That's you issue. The sql connection is wrong. You can check it in the /App_data/Sites/Default/settings.txt file. Ensure you have deployed you local database to the GoDaddy's one.
Oct 14, 2014 at 11:36 PM
Edited Oct 14, 2014 at 11:37 PM
HI!

The Exception in your log file indicates that your sqlCe file could not be found or the user, in which the AppPool is running has no rights the access the file.
Take a look into the App_Data/Sites/Default/ and verify that there is a file Orchard.sdf. This is the database file for orchard.

Edit: sebastien was faster than me :)