Azure Redis Cache

Topics: Administration, General
Aug 15, 2014 at 2:23 PM
Edited Aug 15, 2014 at 2:26 PM
As I understand it, Azure's Shared Cache service is being shut down on 1st Sept (as described in the important note at the top here)

I asked Sébastien about an Azure Redis Cache provider with a view to being able to switch over to something in the immediate term and he responded:
"Since day 1, in 1.x branch" tweet
So I found said module in the source here

Rather than continue to hassle him on Twitter I thought I'd bring the discussion here.

Should we be able to use this in an existing Orchard 1.8.1 install as it's seemingly dependant on other 1.x code?

Can anyone confirm or otherwise share what they plan to do with the Azure output cache which is currently dependant on a service due to be shut off?

I may of course be completely missing something obvious, so any thoughts appreciated.

Aug 15, 2014 at 4:08 PM
Edited Aug 15, 2014 at 4:11 PM
Thanks @DanMoov2 for making me realize a bad day is coming next month.

Since it is happening in two weeks maybe it should be ported to 1.8.x for everyone and release Orchard 1.8.2 with it.
Aug 15, 2014 at 6:38 PM
Shared Cache is the first one that was shipped in Azure, so I assume it's not the one you are currently using. It's probably the Managed Cache service and this one is not shutdown, and it's used on (scottgu's blog).

And yes there is a fourth one I won't mention for the sake of clarity.
Aug 15, 2014 at 7:42 PM
Edited Aug 15, 2014 at 7:42 PM
I don't actually have visibility of the Azure side of things but am told it's the shared cache. Any way of knowing which is being used outside of the management portal and would the Azure Output Cache module "just work" the same with either?

Regardless though, we have put together a version of 1.8.1 with the appropriate Redis module and additional dependencies which appears to be working well so are going to give that a test in our enviornment with a view to pushing to production if it holds up.