What is the difference between New > Blog Post and Blog > New Post

Topics: Troubleshooting
Jul 30, 2014 at 5:47 PM
I have upgraded an instance of Orchard from 1.6 to 1.8.1. If I use New > Blog Post to create a post as I always did before, the new post will not show under Blog though everything else looks fine (e.g. it is listed in Content). If I use Blog > New Post to to create a post, it will show up.

I cannot see any difference between these two types of post on the content page. Could anyone shed some light on this?
Aug 1, 2014 at 12:32 AM
The problem with creating a new BlogPost through New->Blog Post is that now the Blog Post will not have a Blog as its container. If you go through Blog-> New blog Post, the blog module will be able to set the selected Blog to be the container of the Blog Post you're about to create.

To avoid creating blog posts without having a Blog as its container, you should uncheck the "Creatable" setting on the Blog Post type.
Aug 1, 2014 at 12:40 AM
Thank you for the clarification. Is there a way to move those blog posts without a container to the container Blog?
Aug 1, 2014 at 12:47 AM
You're welcome. Yeah, the only way I can think of is by going through the database. Look for records in the CommonPartRecord table. Look for records whose ID are the same as the blog post ID you want to move, and set its Container_id column to the Blog ID.
Disclaimer - I have never done this myself, so be prepared to restore a DB backup.