site dies after a month of running - 1.8

Topics: Administration, General, Installing Orchard
Jul 30, 2014 at 4:10 PM
I had some weird issues trying to deploy orchard 1.8 to azure, where it would work for a day and then suddenly stop working. I finally gave up on azure and grabbed a new server. After some serious headaches getting everything running (trying to find my original thread documenting these), it finally started working and I was able to add a couple tenants etc. to the site.

Now it's been running over a month, and when I checked today, the sites are all offline again. One example is here:

The page (and /admin, and the other tenants) just show the 404 page:

Server Error in '/' Application.

The resource cannot be found.

Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Requested URL: /

This is beyond frustrating. I had this server running just fine and now it died many weeks down the line?
Jul 30, 2014 at 4:28 PM
I've been running orchard sites since prior to version 1, and I'm pretty much ready to abandon it, due to issues like this. As much as I want a .net open source cms, I can't handle this anymore. I had a developer build over 80 wordpress sites for me a couple years back, and they all are still running without issue. Meanwhile, I can't even get orchard to run on a fresh server install, nor on a fresh azure account, etc.
Jul 30, 2014 at 5:00 PM
I have some question regarding your usage of Azure.
  • What kind of subscription is it?
  • How did you deploy it?
Now for your new server, you can try to skype me (same account name) and give me some credentials, I would gladly look into it to discover why it's failing. I could be it's not because of Orchard per se, maybe some issues in configuration, or hosting.
Jul 31, 2014 at 3:24 AM
Thanks for the help Sebastien.

Password had expired on the database. I've always set this to "never expires" in the past but didn't get set this time. The log files showed the error message.