Deprecated modules and hidden tests...

Topics: Core, Customizing Orchard, General
Jun 26, 2014 at 11:26 AM
Edited Jun 26, 2014 at 3:22 PM
Hi there,

I noticed that some of the modules that are in the "Modules.Deprecated" folder are actually being updated (like upping version number and framework targeting) and are still referenced by tests.

One example is the Media module, which is deprecated but has tests against it, while the new MediaLibrary does not seem to have tests against it (or maybe I can't see them).

What is the policy behind that? Most importantly, can I just remove the tests or are there some nested tests for the MediaLibrary that I am missing?

The other two deprecated modules are MediaPicker and Rules, but these seem to have no tests anyway...

Also, there seems to be a couple of test projects (TaskLease, Messaging to name two) that are in their respective Module folder but are not in the solution so I presume they are not being run. Is that just something forgotten there or just put there as placeholders?
Jun 27, 2014 at 2:08 PM
You can remove the tests for deprecated modules but they won't hurt unless you're running all of Orchard's tests yourself.

Deprecated modules won't be updated with features or bugfixes (maybe just super-critical ones) but you can still continue to use them for some time. To achieve the latter they should get some absolutely necessary updates like Web.config changes and .NET version re-targeting so they continue to work; you're seeing this.

Good question about test project missing from the solution; they might be just forgotten. Please raise a bug.
Jun 27, 2014 at 2:55 PM
Hi Piedone,

I will add the bug. Indeed when I try to add them to the solution they simply break (either missing references or missing libraries, lots of problems basically).
Jun 27, 2014 at 3:49 PM
Yes, these old modules should be packaged in an external module and removed from orchard, it is annoying and error prone to have them compiled with the solution.
Compatibility pb is that when you want to migrate a site still using them, if they will no more be in the orchard base solution, something must be done to add them ?