Rackspace Cloud: Full Trust

Topics: Installing Orchard
Jun 8, 2014 at 12:25 PM
Rackspace Cloud now have Full Trust in beta, and I have a test install so I know it works.

Before I start trying to install Orchard there, perhaps someone could tell me if they already did this? I'm not precisely sure what they have "in the back end" of their systems, hence I don't know if this will work, and if I know it does/ doesn't before I start that could save me a ton of time.

Has anyone built an Orchard installation on Rackspace Cloud?
Jun 9, 2014 at 10:18 PM
Well, I've had no obvious trust violation issues, so that much works. There have been a few "error 500s" which I can't quite work out - I think sometimes the cluster stuff is causing trouble somewhere, although I'm not sure what it is.
Jun 9, 2014 at 10:53 PM
Rackspace is quite behind offering full trust then :-). Watch your logs to pinpoint issues early.
Jun 10, 2014 at 7:58 AM
Quite possibly. Umbraco 7 also moved to full trust, hence it's one or the other, and U7 seems less stable at this point, plus the support for weird architectures like Rackspace Cloud is... complicated at best.

So far the main issues have been:
  1. The standard release package for 1.8 is missing 3 DLLs - there are tickets for that. You get lots of red error messages and the log fills up with crash dumps until you download the full source, find the 3 files, and add them to the distribution.
  2. Image ("Media") files with spaces in the name cause the image upload to barf in weird ways not reported to the user.
Now I worked those out, the logs should be somewhat easier to review. I have had the odd mysterious 500 errors, which I can't find in the log, and which may be symptomatic of something nasty.

If anyone knows where cluster-specific documentation is, can you point me at it?

I don't know the precise architecture of Rackspace, but from what I know from the last few years I don't see why particularly it should cause problems, especially as it's not at this point a site with multiple writers.
Jun 10, 2014 at 4:42 PM
Number 2 is also a known issue, probably already fixed in 1.8.x.

There is no cluster-specific documentation I'm aware of.

500 errors can also be caused by template errors that are sometimes not logged somehow. If you can reproduce non-logged errors then try to test the site with CustomErrors turned off to see the actual error.
Jun 10, 2014 at 4:48 PM
Edited Jun 10, 2014 at 5:25 PM
Thanks - that sounds like a good idea... I'm happy to get yellow screens of death. I will turn the custom stuff off - thanks.

Hmm, I already have custom errors off, but I'm not getting the Yellow Screen, just a simple error 500 screen. Any ideas?

Wait up - this Bootstrap Theme has compliation for 4.0 specified in a local Web.Config there - that sounds wrong. Maybe that's my problem.