Methodology for using GIT

Topics: General, Writing modules
May 28, 2014 at 1:09 AM
I have been developing Orchard modules since Orchard 1.3. Since the change to git I have had great difficulty maintaining core source code locally. This is probably due to my poor understanding of git, rather than git being the most useless unintuitive piece of shit ever invented.

I have read all the basic books and tutorials on git, read Setting Up a Source Enlistment, and searched everything to do with git and Orchard. It's no problem to clone a repo. But what do I do when I want to drag down changes from CodePlex to my local repo? Every time I do that I get lost in a maze of merge conflicts that just should not be happening as far as I can tell. Normally, I do not make changes to the core (anything on Codeplex), so all I want is an updated version of that code and for it to leave my projects alone.

Am I alone? Does anyone one else feel the same pain? Can anyone suggest how to set up my projects and how to use git to keep source code in sync?
May 30, 2014 at 8:35 PM
I totally feel your pain. I dread updating my enlistment ever since the SC moved from Mercurial to Git. Maybe it's a .NET developer thing, I don't know, but I just don't "get" Git - and I've been working in source control environments for 13+ years. I hate it and I just wish someone could show me a smooth, easy, happy-path way to keep my source updated.

No help, but sympathies. Maybe I'll find someone at Harvest to give me a demo ... :-)