Recent Blogs Widget Causing Errors

Topics: Troubleshooting
May 26, 2014 at 9:46 AM
Hi there,

I guess it was only a matter of time. I was running through a whole bunch of themes, trying to find one to suit my needs. Now my recent blogs widget doesn't work, with any theme.

It displays the follow error when attempting to add it to a zone,

Server Error in '/' Application.

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".
<!-- Web.Config Configuration File --> <configuration>
<system.web>
    <customErrors mode="Off"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.
<!-- Web.Config Configuration File --> <configuration>
<system.web>
    <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
</system.web>

</configuration>

Standard .NET stuff obviously so I edited the web.config file using webmatrix. To do the above, which I've double checked by loading the site into web matrix again (edited live). The error persists, telling me to disable custom errors.

I've restarted it too, still no joy.
May 26, 2014 at 10:23 AM
I found the problem. I had removed the Title from the Blog content definition as I didn't want to see it on the page. I'll hide it with CSS, all working again now.
May 26, 2014 at 11:45 AM
Edited May 26, 2014 at 11:47 AM
The best practice is to hide it with the Placement.info file.

Besides that, when an error occurs like this it does not give you any information of the root of the error. Therefore you should edit your web.config file to set the <customErrors mode="Off" />. This way a more detailed error (with call stack) is displayed the next time.

Just remember to remove it after development.