Add menu items in admin panel

Topics: Administration, Core, Customizing Orchard
May 23, 2014 at 11:02 AM
Hi There

I have a ContentType That I created called WelcomLetters.
I dont want the users to have to go to the content item link then select WelcomeLetters to view the welcome letters.
How can I create a menu item link that goes directly to the list of welcome letters.

I dont mind if the drop down is still available but it must only display the welcome letters.
With the button to "ADD Welcome letter" on the left.

Thanks
May 24, 2014 at 12:51 PM
Go to the admin panel -> Queries -> new query -> Add a new query. Add a filter that filters on content type WelcomeLetter. Add a new layout that only displays the property title and let it link to the original item.

Go to the admin panel -> navigation. Select the menu where you want to add the menu item link. Add a query link and select the just created query. That's it :-)
Dec 11, 2014 at 2:49 AM
Not sure how this addresses the question of adding a link to the admin panel. The navigation ui doesn't allow you to add items to the admin menu.
Developer
Dec 14, 2014 at 6:33 PM
You can achieve that by implementing an INavigationProvider (look at existing modules for an example, Blogs for instance).
If you don't want to use code, another way to do it is by using the Lists feature. You would create a new List called WelcomeLetters, and configure it to be displayed on the admin menu. Users would create WelcomeLetters through this list. You should uncheck the "Creatable" checkbox for the WelcomeLetter content type, otherwise newly created letters won't appear in this list (unless you implement a workflow that automatically adds new WelcomeLetters to that list).