Easiest way to do Theme and Module development

Topics: Customizing Orchard, General
Apr 8, 2014 at 8:25 PM
From the tutorials I have looked at it looks like the way to build themes and modules in Orchard is to download the full Orchard source and work from there. Since I'm not wanting to make any changes to the main Orchard source or any of the included modules, and I don't want my other developers to do that either, I'm a little leery of working directly off the full application source. Plus, this sounds like it might become a problem or at least a headache during upgrades. Whatever I use would be kept it source control so the least amount of source that needs to be versioned would be best. So, my question is, for theme (mostly) and maybe custom module development, is the full source necessary or is there another, simpler way?

Thanks...
Apr 9, 2014 at 7:08 PM
Theme development can be done quite easily without the source code. If I am just developing a custom theme and no modules for a client, I often just use the downloadable web version of Orchard and my favorite web editor.

Module development, on the other hand, is always done using the source code and Visual Studio. I can't imagine not using the source code.

Regards,

Dave
Marked as answer by jpcoder on 4/11/2014 at 6:53 AM
Apr 10, 2014 at 8:37 AM
Theme development is easy with downloadable release version and WebMatrix.
Apr 11, 2014 at 8:59 PM
Ok, I'm mainly concerned with theme development. I would rather use Visual Studio instead of WebMatrix. Is it possible to setup the Orchard non-source version with VS in order to create themes?

Also, how would it be best to do source control? We use TFS. Can the Orchard files minus App_Data and Media folder be put under source control along with the theme files created?