migration 1.7.2 --> 1.8 issue

Topics: Administration, General
Apr 4, 2014 at 7:19 PM
when installing Orchard 1.8 (web) I'm able to get to the Dashboard
(i.e. a 'admin' account is defined, I'm able to signin/sign out with that admin account)

Now I want to migrate my 1.7.2 site:
  • I copy App_date which includes the 'Orchard.sdf' tables
    ( I certainly copy also Media, MyModules, my necessary alternate shapes etc)
after the DB copy I do have the 1.7.2 'Orchard_Framework_ContentitemRecord' record
which does NOT have - on the ID=1 - the content described in the migration instructions.....
" ..... update the value with this content <Data><SiteSettingsPart SuperUser="admin"/></Data>". I.e I cannot refit this instruction.

Hence, I cannot access the dashboard!?
  • again, I do NOT have an ID=1 with the described content for 1.8
    ( obviously, with the App_Data copy I have the 1.7.2 'Orchard_Framework_ContentitemRecord' layout!)
  • do I need to migrate the DB records selectively!?
I must do something wrong; any help is appreciated
Apr 4, 2014 at 7:28 PM
The record with id=1 "trick" is ONLY if you forgot to add SIte Owner permissions to your account and you don't have a backup.
Apr 5, 2014 at 6:28 AM
Hi Sebastien,
thanks for clarifying. However I still must misunderstand something - thanks for clarifying!

a) Up to now I always used below link as the instruction (I.e. copy App_Data, Media etc into the new release):

b) Now when applying above procedure I never can access the 'Dashboard'. Which I can appreciate because the 'Orchard_Framework_ContentitemRecord'
has now the 'copied' record ID=1 from my 1.7.2 content i.e. no : SuperUser='admin'

c) now when reading/interpreting the new instruction:
.... You will need an account with the Site Owner permission before you update your website with the new release. .....
end quote

Question : is the procedure under a) no longer correct?
... I must have a blackout!
Thanks for your time and help
Apr 5, 2014 at 1:11 PM

Upgrading from Orchard 1.7.2 to 1.8 is similar to other upgrades, with the main exception that before you do the upgrade you just need to log into your website running Orchard 1.7.2 and assign the Administrator Role to the Super User Account. This is mentioned in the release notes in bold type under Upgrading from Orchard 1.7.2:

Once you have done that, then go ahead and do the upgrade similar to how you have always done it.

If it's too late and you forgot to assign the Administrator Role to the Super User Account before the upgrade, then you are locked out of the website. At this point you have two choices:
  1. Re-do the upgrade if you have kept a backup copy of your database, but this time just make sure you assign the Administrator Role to the Super User Account beforehand.
  2. Apply the database modification mentioned in the release notes.
Hope this helps.

Apr 5, 2014 at 8:26 PM
Hi Dave,
thanks for your time ...... finally I succeded ..... HOWEVER ONLY when assigning a super user to the 1.8 version !?!

Now the details in sequence:
1) I use the downloaded version 'Orchard.Web.1.8.zip' from CodeProject
2) when running this version without any migration (WebMatrix) I'm able to sign in / out and hence see the dashboard
3) when checking the settings (in 1.8!) for the Super User: the field is 'blank'

4) when migrating then my 1.7.1 /2 into the 1.8 version; I CAN NO longer access the dashboard!
PS: in 1.7.1/2 the SuperUser field is/was (always) definitely filled in!

5) when filling the SuperUser info in 1.8 (see 3) ...) and
6) migrate my 1.7.1/2 into the 1.8 ALL is fine and I can do the 1.8 migrations --> the site is running!

conclusion: the super user info in the 1.8 was missing!?
I will try to reproduce the above on my next migration!
any comments, of course, are appreciated!