Child theme not picking up

Topics: Customizing Orchard, General
Mar 7, 2014 at 12:18 AM
This is my first site built using Orchard. I have created Child Theme of the Theme Machine as described in the guide, and I am trying to do something very simple. I want to remove the publish date from all pages on the site. I understand the correct way to do this is to use the file. So in the root of my new theme, I edited the file and added the following line:

<Place Parts_Common_Metadata="-" />

It's not working. Using the Designer Tools, I took a look the the part in question, and it tells me the Placement file is ~/Core/Common/ Is this the reason my changes are not being picked up? It seems as tho my file is not being picked up, and instead it's looking at the default one. Can anyone help?
Mar 7, 2014 at 9:33 AM
Have you set your theme as the current theme in Themes of admin dashboard? If so, do other customizations in your theme, like alternates, get picked up and rendered?

Mar 10, 2014 at 1:58 AM
I have set it as the current theme. I've also made customizations to the CSS and the the HTML in layout.cshtml which work fine. It just seems whatever I am trying for doesn't work. I know I could remove the date using CSS but I would to do it the proper way.
Mar 10, 2014 at 8:38 AM
Do you have <Placement> ... </Placement> root tags, surrounding any other tags in the file?

Mar 12, 2014 at 11:58 PM
I found the problem but I am almost too embarassed to admit what it was... I am using a generic text in Ubuntu editor that doesn't highlight any XML, and I was working with the default file. I didn't notice the entire markup was wrapped in <!-- -->, so in fact it was all commented out... That's why nothing was working. Feeling pretty dumb right now. Thanks for the help :)