Server Specs for Hosting Orchard CMS

Topics: General, Installing Orchard
Mar 3, 2014 at 3:16 AM
Please let me know what is the recommended server specification for hosting Orchard CMS. Please see the following link showing different plans, suggest good one.
Mar 3, 2014 at 9:10 PM
Edited Mar 3, 2014 at 9:34 PM
go daddy is not good,(search this forum)
try $20/month
Mar 4, 2014 at 3:37 AM
Windows Server 2008 Standard Edition
100GB of drive space
2 Cores
4GB of RAM

Is above specs are good for hosting Orchard CMS?
Mar 4, 2014 at 6:04 AM
That sounds ok to me, except if possible I would go for more ram so you can give more to MSSQL (assuming you'll be using that).

To compare (or not), our specs are:

Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard
Intel Xeon E5645 (2.40ghz)
24 GB ram

We do run quite a heavy site on it though (, and also 2 VMs and MSSQL 2012.

I would suggest to you what I always suggest to my boss: if you can hire just for a month, start by hiring it for just a month and after you are certain that the host can handle your needs, you can think about getting a longer contract period :)
Mar 17, 2014 at 9:20 PM
Don't. Use. Gearhost.

Apart form that the specs you described is more than enough... Well it depends on what you want to do. Orchard's baseline memory usage is under 200MB and it uses very little CPU apart from startup. But this is just testing: it really depends on what your installation will consist of (which module, what they do) and what the load it should server.

If you're mostly serving content to anonymous visitors your site can greatly benefit form output caching (even with the built-in OutputCache module) then even a very basic box can handle loads of users, since most of the time it will just server static content.