404 Redirects in Orchard 1.7.2

Topics: Customizing Orchard, General
Feb 26, 2014 at 4:06 PM
I recently migrated a site from WordPress to Orchard. We managed to keep most of the URLs the same but there were a few we modified due to changes in information architecture/taxonomy.

We now have a problem in that the old URL's that didn't carry over show up as 404 pages on the new site, as one would expect.

I searched for a plugin that could fix this (redirecting the old urls to the new ones), but the only one I found dealing specifically specifically with 404's does not seem to work in Orchard 1.7 - it says to add the following code to the Orchard web.config
<customErrors mode="On">
      <error statusCode="404" redirect="/Redirect404/Lookup" />
</customErrors>
More info on plugin here: http://gallery.orchardproject.net/List/Modules/Orchard.Module.Redirect404

Orchard seems to completely ignore this configuration and the controller of the plugin is never hit. I read somewhere that this seems to be a change with Orchard 1.4 and later - that it isn't affected by the CustomErrors element -, is this true?

Basically my question is, is there a way to get this functionality/plugin working in Orchard 1.7.2? If not, how can I handle 404 redirects of old URL's to their new URLs?

Thanks!