Best way to contribute?

Topics: General
Feb 20 at 8:11 PM
I am a programmer who has been working on the microsoft stack for more than 15 years, I have also been involved in the wordpress project. I have recently decided orchard is the home for me and would like to get up to speed so I can be a better orchard user and contribute to the project. What is the best way to get spun up? One of the lead people at wordpress suggested reading old bug tickets, so I am hoping I can get some suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
Developer
Feb 22 at 11:18 AM
Welcome :-).

I assume you already learnt module and theme development. Then since you have a general understanding of Orchard's system you could start contributing, what is very warmly welcome:
  • Documentation: the documentation is in its own repository and can be contributed to in form of pull requests too.
  • Inline documentation (i.e. API documentation on interfaces and/or classes): this is also a good beginner's task since after you've learnt and understood some pieces of API probably you can even better summarize it then someone using it for years.
  • Bug fixes: this is the more hardcore stuff, but there are simple bugs too. And also a big majority of bugs are found in the built-in or Core modules, which are only modules as usual (as opposed to the core framework code). You could filter for the 1.7.x version that contains already active (thus, verified) issues; those, since assigned to the next patch version are most possibly also easier to fix than the ones for the next minor version (i.e. 1.x).