Getting started with Azure and Orchard

Topics: Administration, Customizing Orchard, General
Feb 8, 2014 at 2:15 AM
Hi Everyone,

I have been exploring Azure and I landed here! The Orchard CMS is, by far, the best of the offerings in the gallery for new websites. I can't honestly say that I tried every single one, however, I did try to install most of them, with limited success.

I'm trying to quickly throw together a site for our gourmet cooking club. We were using Yahoo Groups (NOT my decision, LOL) which seems to be dying a very slow death.

The ONLY basic feature of Yahoo Groups that I have been unable to easily replicate, anywhere, is a simple table for the users to "sign up" for a recipe. Here's a simple example:

Joe is hosting the dinner party this Saturday. Members need to sign up for appetizers, side dishes, wine, etc.

I want to display a table with the various items and allow users to "sign up" for that item.

Appetizer: who?
Side dish: who?
Wine: who?

Any ideas how I can use Orchard on Azure to accomplish this?

Thank you!

Adrian
Developer
Feb 11, 2014 at 12:48 PM
In the simplest case you could use text fields on a custom content type to store who will do what; then make an item of that content type (i.e. a dinner party's event) editable through CustomForms for users. So anybody can go there and sign themselves up. This is really simple and would at least need some authorization for editing that dinner party but I hope you get the idea.
Feb 11, 2014 at 6:54 PM
Did I post this in the wrong place? I was hoping to get some tips to get started...
Developer
Feb 11, 2014 at 7:52 PM
Uhm, did you read my post?
Feb 11, 2014 at 8:38 PM
I see it now but missed it earlier, sorry. The notification went into my junk mailbox.

I had experimented with Custom Forms but they appear to be oriented to completing something (e.g. a survey) and submitting it. What I'm looking for is a simple way to display a table and let anyone who is a member of the site edit it.
Developer
Feb 11, 2014 at 8:48 PM
Yeah but how you could approach this in the most straightforward way is to let users edit the same content item, where you have fields for these purposes. Displaying an editable table is not very simple to do, however. Although you could have content items for just the dinners but include a Google Docs spreadsheet that users can edit. Something quick and dirty.
Feb 11, 2014 at 9:13 PM
Google docs has been proposed, LOL.

It surprises me that something that appears so simple is so difficult to implement. I've come across the concept in other environments, too, besides Yahoo Groups. For example, Intuit's Quickbase allows tables to edited by multiple users.