DB Storage Method

Topics: Writing modules
Jan 10, 2014 at 6:36 PM
I'm trying to convert a plugin for WordPress into a module for Orchard and had more of a question on storing the data.

The WP plugin uses a single column named "params" to store all the options for the different attributes, and it pretty much looks like a gigantic JSON string. I've never stored data in this matter and have always separated out the attributes into their own columns and defined the data type per column.

Is there any benefit to duplicating the storage method for this plugin in Orchard, or would the recommendation be that I store the data in a more traditional format with a column for each attribute.

Thanks for any input.
Jan 10, 2014 at 7:57 PM
Looks like some settings, then you can use a SettingsPart, and if for 1.8 you can take advantage of the InfoSet to not create a record.
Jan 10, 2014 at 9:59 PM
Thanks...looking forward to 1.8 and InfoSet! There are probably 85 attributes for the main part. I think I'll stick with columns for each...just seems to make more sense to me for this type of thing. I'll keep SettingsPart in mind though for other things...could be very useful. Thanks =)
Jan 11, 2014 at 12:51 AM
What is the module ?
Jan 11, 2014 at 1:00 AM
I'm "attempting" to write a module for the Slider Revolution plugin (http://www.themepunch.com/home/). It can run stand-alone as just a jQuery slider, but the integration in WordPress is actually pretty cool. I'm trying to duplicate some of that integration as an Orchard widget.