Weird Characters in Chrome/Mozilla

Topics: Customizing Orchard, General
Jan 2 at 5:40 PM
Our development site has caught a bug somehow and I'm struggling to find the cure. If you take a look at the attached image you'll see what our site looks like in Chrome and Mozilla. It's fine in IE. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance as always.

<$DD$> <$DE$> lang="<$DF$>en-US<$DG$>"<$DH$> class="<$DI$>static<$DJ$>Toby

Jan 3 at 1:10 AM
This is new to me. Does this happen with a vanilla Orchard installation? What happens if you setup a clean instance, test, then add any custom modules one by one, and test? Are you using a custom theme?
Coordinator
Jan 3 at 5:51 AM
I've seen that once too. It's totally mysterious. There's nothing in Orchard that I know of that could explain it. These tags being unsearchable in Google don't improve the situation. I'd try to run the same code on a different server, just to see. I'd bet it's something more environmental, such as a bad proxy of sorts, or a browser bug (but that it happens on Firefox and Chrome, which use different engines, would indicate something else).
Jan 3 at 7:05 AM
Some ideas for troubleshooting:

- try turning off compatibility for intranet in ie to find out if it still works fine
- compare web.config in your theme's views folder with the one from the theme machine
- check Layout.cshtml file's text encoding, it's supposed to be UTF-8 with BOM

Jan 3 at 9:01 PM
Thanks for the responses. I've tried disabling modules and switching themes but still the weird characters. The same code and DB works fine on our production server using full IIS (thankfully). I suspect it's a failing of IIS Express running off of VS2013. It's a shame that VS2013 doesn't seem to allow you a choice of web servers to test with. If anyone has any other thoughts let me know. T
Coordinator
Jan 4 at 7:47 AM
It does let you choose: go to the properties of the Orchard.Web project, and under the Web tab, you can choose what web server to run it on.
Jan 6 at 9:15 PM
So I'm able to recreate this bug reliably by messing with the Orchard.Web properties for IIS Express. I'm trying to setup our local project to be:

http://localhost:30765/ in order to properly emulate our production beta site - they share the same SQL DB.

When I drop the /OrchardLocal/ the garbled characters appear and I'm stuck. I'd really like to ditch the /OrchardLocal/ can you think of any way to get around this?

Thanks again!
T
Coordinator
Jan 7 at 1:55 AM
That's interesting: if you have a reliable repro (which we didn't have so far), please file a bug. In the meantime, to unblock you, I recommend installing a full IIS on your dev box. You'll have then no problem running on localhost:30765.