Content.cshtml and Display Type

Topics: Customizing Orchard, General
Dec 14, 2013 at 11:41 PM
Edited Dec 17, 2013 at 10:30 AM
I have a Projection Page, listing Biography records. Inside the AsideSecond I am showing list of upcoming Events (Grid 1 column)

Now,
1- Projection Page -> Content has a Display Type of Detail
2- Each Item inside Projection Page has a Display Type of Summary
3- Widget is using a Grid which has a Display Type of Detail
3- Each Item inside Upcoming Events Widget has a Display Type of Summary

If I override Content.cshtml, only the Projection Page Content is getting affected (Display Type Detail), the remaining are not (being Display Type with Summary).

I read somewhere that Content.cshtml replaces any other template if not overridden.

Can someone please illustrate more on this topic, regarding Content Templates and Display Types?

Thanks
Regards
Bilal
Coordinator
Dec 16, 2013 at 11:49 PM
Content, like any shape, can have alternates. Look for Content_summary.cshtml for example.
Dec 17, 2013 at 10:32 AM
If Content.cshtml is present in the custom theme, wouldn't that override Content_Detail.cshtml and Content_Summary.cshtml?
Dec 17, 2013 at 3:21 PM
Edited Dec 18, 2013 at 6:13 AM
Hi Bertrand,
I found it.

When Orchard Host starts, it loads all defined Shapes [Defined in all loaded modules + Core module] together with their Shape Templates [Defined in all modules, Core module, and Theme(s)].

Now rendering a Shape depends on two things:
  • Shape Template
  • Alternates
Orchard Host starts checking the Shape Template Alternates [From bottom of list to top], when it finds a Template it uses that to render the Shape. The more specific the location of the Shape Template the more probably it will be used by Orchard. Specificity levels starts from:
  • Current Theme
  • Base Theme (if any)
  • Remaining modules
In my example above, Orchard starts looking for a convenient Shape Template and found one inside Core module for Content.Summary.cshtml. If I remove or rename this template, it will use the Content.cshtml defined in the current theme.

Does the above make sense to you?

Regards
Bilal
Coordinator
Dec 19, 2013 at 6:36 AM
Sure.
Marked as answer by bhaidar on 12/19/2013 at 5:10 AM
Dec 19, 2013 at 1:10 PM
BertrandLeRoy wrote:
Sure.
Thanks Bertrand!

Regards