Experimental Module doesn't compile

Topics: General, Troubleshooting, Writing modules
Nov 29, 2013 at 2:42 PM
I've installed the above module from the gallery (through the dashboard) and then included in the Orchard solution as an existing project.
As a general habit I use to compile any new module just to see if it compiles. I'm right:
I get an error at

page.As<MenuPart>().OnMainMenu = true;

It seems the OnMainManu property doesn't exist anymore (probably it was in a previous version).

What shall I do to get the module compiling and working?
Shall we put an Issue?

Many thanks.
Nov 29, 2013 at 3:32 PM
I've just commented out the above lines (they're two) to get the code compiling.
Now when my site executes I get a lot of "Object not set to an instance of an object" error,
on context.Chain.Activated(activated); in ContainerSpy.cs (the Chain object is null).

It's impossible to keep going.

The module doesn't appear to be deprecated, but it seems to be "dead":
last update one year and a half ago, doesn't compile and has a dependency on a deprecated module (Orchard.Lists).

Is there a similar module to install?
Is a new version of this module going to be released?

Many Thanks.
Nov 29, 2013 at 3:53 PM
Edited Nov 29, 2013 at 4:22 PM
I had to remove the module completely as it screwed up my Orchard Installation.
The only way I've found to remove it, was deleting the module from the solution and then deleting the Orchard.Experimental folder from the disk.
Even the Orchard command line tool or Orchard dashboard were screwed up, so it was impossible to do a proper
module disable (now I wonder if there's some rubbish left around about this module...).

I really don't understand how it's possible that a module like that is still available on the gallery.
It comes from the Orchard Team, so it should be tested against any new Orchard's version, right?

Nov 29, 2013 at 5:34 PM
I guess that's where the term "Experimental" comes from and you are our guinea pig. ;)
Would you mind filing a bug for this? Thanks!
Dec 2, 2013 at 9:00 AM
Your guinea pig has filed the issue before dying :)

Please save my life, evolve the module.

Dec 2, 2013 at 9:07 AM
:) Thanks!