Sharing modules between different orchard solutions

Topics: General, Writing modules
Nov 6, 2013 at 3:41 PM
Hi,

We have developed several (closed source) modules we want to share between different orchard solutions.

For Orchard to pick up a module, it needs to be placed in the Modules folder of a solution. So from a file-based perspective, we need to copy the entire module from one solution to another.

However, these modules are still in development so this approach is not very flexible.

There has to be a better way of doing this... 2 ideas came to mind:
  • Setting up a private "module gallery". One solution pushes an updated version of the module to the gallery so the other solutions can upgrade. Has anyone done this?
  • We are using TFS for source control. Maybe it's possible to create "virtual maps" that point to the same branch?
I'm sure most of you have modules that are reused in different solutions. How do you deal with this?
Developer
Nov 6, 2013 at 11:46 PM
Don't know how TFS's source control works but in hg/git terms you would have separate repositories for each of the modules (i.e. version controlling them separately), the cloning them to each of the solution into the Modules folder (i.e. you have a copy of the module in each of the solutions and you can synchronize those copies through the source control system).

Another way would be to use symlinks.
Nov 15, 2013 at 2:03 PM
I have just the same problem - I am trying to setup my Git repository, but I am stuck trying to embed my custom projects into Orchard Module folder.
Isn't there a good practice how separate projects should be developed on private Git repo while maintaining Orchard code from CodePlex?
Developer
Nov 15, 2013 at 2:49 PM