Orchard 1.7.1 Azure

Topics: Installing Orchard, Troubleshooting
Oct 23, 2013 at 9:08 AM
I'm having a number of issues with Orchard on Azure, and I'm wondering if I'm missing some detailed documentation, or if the Azure implementations are in a preview state.

I firstly deployed (from code) to Azure roles. This seemed to work reasonably well, however on adding some modules we have created to the source, adding them to the solution and redeploying I was unable to get them to load. They "enable" on the deployed site, but as I discovered enabled and loaded are very different beasts.

I then switched to azure websites. This works, however using standard (not free or shared) medium instances with a 1Gb standard cache (separate caches defined for output and database) the performance is terribly slow, and random cache exceptions keep killing the site).

I have a feeling that for both of these issues a part of it may be that I don't understand how to correctly configure the site. Can anyone point me in the right direction, or would I be better off deploying to a non azure environment?
Developer
Oct 23, 2013 at 1:04 PM
When adding modules to the solution, you need to:
  1. Add the module in the same location as other modules, i.e. under Orchard.Web/Modules
  2. Add a reference to the module assembly in Orchard.Azure.Web
After this you should be able to deploy the cloud service according to the documentation:
http://docs.orchardproject.net/Documentation/Deploying-Orchard-to-Windows-Azure

I suspect you might be missing the second step above?
Marked as answer by KevinButterworth on 10/23/2013 at 6:22 AM
Oct 23, 2013 at 2:08 PM
Edited Oct 23, 2013 at 2:10 PM
Just a small question concerning SQL Azure usage, Sebastien has updated the setup to automatically detect its usage from the connection string and loading a dedicated NH extension managing retries, if I remember Ok.
Do you know if the issue has been solved (missing assembly on deployment) https://orchard.codeplex.com/workitem/20110
(I detected it trying to enumerate linked assemblies for another project, but as I had tried to add this dedicated SQL Azure driver earlier without success )
Oct 23, 2013 at 2:22 PM
I am actually that dumb. Sorry.

However it is now running, and much faster on a single small role, with scaling ready for if we get large numbers of users.

Thanks for the help.