Integrate Orchard functionality into existing ASP.NET website

Topics: General
Oct 16, 2013 at 1:28 PM
I have a .NET website already running on www.mydomain.com

On the /blog section I had a custom developed piece of code handling blogs, but this is simply not sufficient anymore. I'm not looking for a CMS to replace my entire website, so I was looking for a CMS that was capable of providing a blogging feature that allowed me to:
  1. easily create new articles and show these in the /blog section
  2. be able to show article overviews on different pages on my existing website, e.g. get 5 latest articles to be shown on homepage of my website (preferably via Orchard API or else via RSS feed)
  3. the articles written in the Orchard CMS should be able to inherit the style of my existing Masterpage.
Are these 3 options possible with Orchard?

Thanks a bunch and keep up the good work.
Oct 16, 2013 at 3:35 PM
Hi,

1. Yes, I guess, depending what you mean by easily. I'm not a blogger myself, hence I can't compare. There is a blog section on administrator dashboard of Orchard and you can create blog posts there. Also I saw people complaining in the forum that something went wrong with LiveWriter integration, so I believe you can normally use that too.
2. There is a feature called projections, which is used to shows lists/tables of collection of items. You can use that in your homepage and other pages to show overviews.
3. You can not use the masterpage. You will need to create an Orchard theme to reflect the styling in you masterpage. There is a chapter of documents in orchard homepage about theme creation. There are many themes in the Orchard gallery, you can try and find one that resembles your style and go from there as well.

Good luck.

Oct 17, 2013 at 6:31 AM
  1. I assumed there would be a blog function in Orchard, my question is if I can integrate blog overview pages in my current ASP.NET website? I want my current website to be leading, and use only the blog content/articles from Orchard on various pages of my (non-Orchard) website.
  2. this sounds like a predefined Orchard template which I can reuse on pages that are defined in Orchard, but since my regular pages won't be Orchard based (see 1), I'm thinking I can't use this?
  3. That is bad news. I was hoping Orchard had some kind of custom UserControl which I could place on my website's pages, for example a UserControl that gets an overview of articles without any styling. But I guess it's not there.
Hoping to hear from you.
Oct 17, 2013 at 3:42 PM
Sorry, I missed a "not" and misread your entire post, I thought you want to replace your site. I won't bee able to answer these questions in this case, I don't know the asnwers. But one thing, since you mentioned a UserControl: Orchard runs on asp.net MVC, and I assume your site is on web forms. So you might have an Orchard module (which is an MVC area) that would return partial views, and get whatever you need in a custom UserControl (not just the blog overview, but blog posts themselves as well).

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/702746/how-to-include-a-partial-view-inside-a-webform/702874#702874

I am not sure though it's worth the effort. It would be two application to maintain, and the integration would not be easy. There is no such user control bundled with Orchard.

If you want to keep the site in web forms, I would recoomend to find a web forms based .net CMS, redesign the application to run on the CMS, but not the CMS as the side-kick to the existing site.

Sorry again, for misleading you.

Coordinator
Oct 17, 2013 at 8:06 PM
Should be fairly easy to transform your master page into a layout. They are very similar concepts. You'll have to switch to Razor of course.