Customising markup for a standard page

Topics: Customizing Orchard
Oct 11, 2013 at 1:36 AM
Hello, I'm trying to evaluate Orchard for a client and as a CMS of choice for future projects. I've read about a quarter of the documentation and am getting nowhere.

I just want to know how to alter the markup for a page, be it a new content type or the built in one.

I'm finding the whole thing rather inaccessible at the moment, hours of reading about stuff I don't understand nor know if it's relevant. I've learnt about shapes and drivers, theme areas, all manner of hazy concepts but still haven't seen a line of HTML.

Customising the markup is surely the number one use case and yet it's never mentioned, even the list of topics listed below this input box doesn't list it.

Thanks

Luke
Coordinator
Oct 12, 2013 at 10:40 PM
You should try shape tracing, as explained here: http://docs.orchardproject.net/Documentation/Customizing-Orchard-using-Designer-Helper-Tools This tool makes it easy to find the files that you need to modify in your theme in order to modify any markup the system produces.

If that still doesn't "click", then maybe Orchard is not the CMS for you. That's fine.
Oct 13, 2013 at 11:07 PM
Brilliant, thanks Bertrand, that helps a lot.

I think the documentation needs stronger pointers using a term such "customizing markup" under the Getting Started section, which lists common How-Tos based on use-cases for the uninitiated.