ISO Clarity around new Windows Azure Blob Storage module, settings.txt & WAWS

Topics: General
Oct 10, 2013 at 11:42 AM
According to what I read in the docs (here), I've set up my 1.7.1 deployment to use my Azure storage blob account with a custom domain (I have a pending change in the docs project to provide more details around this). The page also talks about how you can have your settings.txt file in the blob store as well but what I'm not clear on is that if keeping the settings.txt in an Azure blob supported / intended to be used only with Cloud Service deployments?

I'm currently running my site using Azure Web Sites (WAWS). The only data that is stored in my website is the settings.txt file (aside from other auto-generated stuff like the cache, warmup, mappings, search indexes, etc... all stuff that can be rebuilt). I'd ideally like to have my settings.txt file in my blob as well so when I want to do a codebase refresh, I can completely blow away everything in my WAWS. Right now I can do that, except for my settings.txt (sure, I could replace it... but I'd rather have it kept in the blob).

So... is this possible? I can't seem to figure out how to tell my website to stop looking in App_Data for the settings.txt file and instead use the blob store.
Coordinator
Oct 10, 2013 at 6:23 PM
Yes, you don't want your site settings in the blob storage if you are using Azure Web Sites, there is no reason to do so. It's doable though, by altering the Host.config file, as it is done for the cloud solution. It will point to the Setting Serializer to use.