General Question easiest way to set up content

Topics: Customizing Orchard
Oct 7, 2013 at 3:56 PM
Hey everyone,

The last site in Orchard (1.5) I created was a fairly complex site and I got a lot of help on this forum when I was building it, I created a whole custom module for it.

Now I want to build a new site (1.71) and it's not so complex.

The only custom thing I want to build is: (it's for an attorney website)

You have a page with attorneys. Each attorney has his specialties and some attorneys have the same specialties. So I also want to have a page with the specialties separate.

So I want to display the attorneys with their specialties, when you click on the specialties you get linked to the other page with the discription of the specialty.

Is their a way I can do this without writing a special module defining a many to many relationship etc...

Can I accomplisch this via the GUI (for example tags)

Can someone explain me the big steps (no detail is necessary) on how to accomlish this and if it's possible?

Kind regards,

Borrie
Coordinator
Oct 7, 2013 at 5:17 PM
Edited Oct 7, 2013 at 5:18 PM
Use a content picker field. Or taxonomies.
Oct 8, 2013 at 11:08 AM
Betrand,

Tx for your answer, When I add a new content type I got a lot more options in 1.7 then in 1.5 is their a video somewhere that explains the new features or a complete new tutorial for 1.7?

Borrie
Coordinator
Oct 9, 2013 at 7:37 AM
Unfortunately no.
Oct 14, 2013 at 1:46 PM
Bertrand,

I've tried the content picker field and this is a great add to Orchard! But I can only select one content to add, how can I add more than one?

I've created two contentypes via gui, now I want to create some kind of many to many between them (I don't want to write a complete module in code).

Borrie
Oct 14, 2013 at 3:55 PM
borrierulez wrote:
Bertrand,

I've tried the content picker field and this is a great add to Orchard! But I can only select one content to add, how can I add more than one?

I've created two contentypes via gui, now I want to create some kind of many to many between them (I don't want to write a complete module in code).

Borrie
You could create a custom content picker field that allows to select multiple content items.
Oct 14, 2013 at 4:03 PM
Aim,

Any idea on how to do that?

I'll clarify what I want to do: (please note that I have developed orchard sites before which where more complex but this time I want to create a simple site and I'm wondering how to achieve this without writing a lot of code)

I have a page "Team" (list of employees)
I have a page "Specialties" (list of specialties, these have a body and a title)

When you see the team page you see the list of employees and underneath each employee you see specialties: specialty1, specialty2, specialty3

The specialties here should be links, when you click on a specialty you should be directed to the specialties page and goto the selected specialty (so not display that one specialty but go to the concerned specialty in the list.

So in the backend when you create an employee you should be able to attach one ore more specialties to an employee. Employees off course could have the same specialties.

Do you think this can be done via the GUI and not write a lot of code?

Borrie
Oct 17, 2013 at 11:27 AM
Anyone?
Oct 17, 2013 at 12:07 PM
borrierulez wrote:
Anyone?
Maybe you could do something like that with the taxonomy module, but I have no experience with that at all (since it blew up @ our amount of content items when we checked it out)
Oct 17, 2013 at 1:26 PM
Ow god I'm such an idiot, I didn't see the down arrow on the content picker field, there you can select "allow multiple items"

I was looking in the wrong place.

Orchard 1.7 is a big improvement from 1.5 Great work!!
Coordinator
Oct 17, 2013 at 8:08 PM
It's easy to miss ;)

@aimorchard: did you file a bug about this perf issue you're seeing on taxonomies with lots of items?
Oct 18, 2013 at 6:41 AM
BertrandLeRoy wrote:
It's easy to miss ;)

@aimorchard: did you file a bug about this perf issue you're seeing on taxonomies with lots of items?
Not sure if still relevant, we're still @ 1.6 and we're not planning to upgrade any time soon (since it would be too much effort at the moment, for too few gain) + afaik some improvements were already made.