Minimal Orchard

Topics: Core, Customizing Orchard, General, Installing Orchard, Troubleshooting
Sep 24, 2013 at 9:37 PM
Have any of you tried to use Orchard in the minimalist way possible? if so, could you tell me your experience? I'm trying to make a website for someone who requires the Orchard admin user and dashboard features so he can add pages and content when he needs to; but he also has a lot of customized pages that i need to create for them, and i'd rather bake Orchard into my project rather than bake mine into Orchard's. Is this feesible? When just trying to use those features I get errors. Are all the Orchard .csproj files dependent on each other? Currently i'm just trying to use Orchard.Core, Orchard.Framework, and Orchard.Web.
The errors I get come from here:
using Autofac;
using Orchard.Environment;
using Orchard.WarmupStarter;

namespace Orchard.Web {
// Note: For instructions on enabling IIS6 or IIS7 classic mode, 
// visit http://go.microsoft.com/?LinkId=9394801

public class MvcApplication : HttpApplication {
    private static Starter<IOrchardHost> _starter;

public MvcApplication() {
    }

public static void RegisterRoutes(RouteCollection routes) {
        routes.IgnoreRoute("{resource}.axd/{*pathInfo}");
    }

protected void Application_Start() {
        RegisterRoutes(RouteTable.Routes);
        _starter = new Starter<IOrchardHost>(HostInitialization, HostBeginRequest, HostEndRequest);
        _starter.OnApplicationStart(this);
THIS IS FROM GLOBAL.ASAX in the Orchard.Web project.

this is one of the 3 error messages: The type or namespace name 'WarmupStarter' does not exist in the namespace 'Orchard' (are you missing an assembly reference?)

Any advice/help is much appreciated!
Developer
Sep 24, 2013 at 9:54 PM
You have to integrate your application into Orchard (or in other words - integrate those two together, as Orchard is a web app as well). The easiest way is to wrap all your existing stuff in a module, remove all unnecessary modules from the solution, leaving only those you need and add customizations to Orchard.Web where needed (Global.asax, Web.config etc.).

You need to have Orchard.WarmupStarter in the solution as it adds a HTTP module referenced in the Web.config.
Sep 24, 2013 at 10:23 PM
Thank you for the quick reply! I'll keep this in mind when attempting to combine the two.