Speeding up orchard modules development

Topics: Customizing Orchard
Sep 10, 2013 at 8:02 PM
Hi,

In the last couple of month i had my first experiences with orchard. I really like working with this cms, but the downside what i have found when developing new modules or theme with visual studio is that it goes really slow from the point of view of the IDE. It kind of gets visual studio hanging and thats no fun to develop with. Also getting orchard into a source control is a bit painful.

I was thinking that in the future. that i create a different solution for my modules and theme and have them placed in the appropriate orchard folders. So that would strip down the projects in the solution from over 60 to a couple.

Don't know if this works, just a thought about it.

What do the orchard people think about my idea?
Coordinator
Sep 10, 2013 at 8:18 PM
Yup, many people already do that and use a stripped-down solution file to speed things up. I haven't found this necessary myself but I have a pretty fast machine.
Developer
Sep 10, 2013 at 8:53 PM
Though in principle I agree its a good idea, in practice however I have found it to be a hindrance. I always work with the full source, as I use the whole source as a reference book :)
Sep 11, 2013 at 7:32 AM
@Betrand , i have a quad core with 4gb ram and ssd hard drive where i have the source, but it shill pretty slow. I even had to deactivate the resharped extension because it was freezing visual studio :D.

@Jetsky, yeah i would still have the entire solution on my hard drive and keep it open to peek into when i need to find an example for something, but i also would use the other solution to speed up visual studio