Orchard 1.7 Media confusion

Topics: General, Installing Orchard
Sep 3, 2013 at 7:17 AM
I'm trying to understand the new Media.Library processing in 1.7

In two areas I'm not yet clear and hopefully somebody takes the time to clarify:
A) handling Mello.ImageGallery B) use of Orchard.Media

AAA) Mello.ImageGallery
upfront: according to a thread the recommendation is to use the new library functions instead of Mello.ImageGallery --> if true: Then go to BBB):

Upgrade of libraries to 1.7 obviously runs ok. But then I get errors in Mello.ImageGallery ... because there is NO Orchard.Media Module in the WebMatrix 1.7 Version!
all runs ok when:
I added the old (1.6) Orchard.Media Module to the Modules Library. AND, changed some DBs to use <foto>{id}</foto> instead of url's!
(all these issues are described in some threads!)

any hints in these area are appreciated

BBB) use of Orchard.Media

I loaded Orchard 1.7 via WebMatrix from the 'Gallery' and there is NO Orchard.Media module included (also NOT in the 'Orchard.Web.1.7.zip' version!
However, when loading via Orchard Source.zip I see a Orchard.Media Module (Module.txt indication 1.7) ---> with this, the Mello.ImageGallery runs ok (in both: the source and the WebMatrix version!)!
? why is there NO Orchard.Media module in the WEB version ?

Are there any docs which clarifies my ignorance / confusion?

thanks for your time
Sep 3, 2013 at 7:51 AM
Orchard.Media module is deprecated in 1.7. I'm sure there is a reason to keep it in the source code version but I don't know.

So, I'm guessing here
AAA) Yes, because Mello.ImageGallery won't work on 1.7, or will require some tricks.
BBB) It's not supposed to be used anymore.

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:03 PM
Is there any way to work with an older version of Orchard?

It's is impossible to work when one change (deprecating Orchard.Media) mess almost every media module available... :-/
Sep 4, 2013 at 5:42 PM
you can disable the media library module and enable the previous Media one.
Sep 4, 2013 at 7:35 PM
Thank you sir!
Sep 10, 2013 at 1:21 PM
as the originator of this thread - my conclusion:
  • with some tweaking in the DBs (see my 1st msg) I still can run the mello.imagegallery ((!even the Orchard.media module in 1.7 (src) works!
  • however I will also start to create my galleries with the new MediaLibraryPicker business by creating my own templates!
! one thing so is a pity: up to 1.6 in a body/html I could quickly and easily load an image (with align/padding definition). Now loading the image creates a complete MediaLibraryPicker content with all its goodies. Adding an Image the old fashioned way needs now html coding! well, will live with it
Sep 10, 2013 at 4:27 PM
You can customize what content is rendered in the body. It's a shape which is requested using ajax.
Sep 10, 2013 at 7:59 PM
Hi , thanks for your time
.. slowly I start to understand the new Media business .. wonderful, thanks.
re : the shape requesting ajax ....
..... ? would you have a sample as a jump start!
thanks for your time