Size of the blocks

Topics: General
Sep 3, 2013 at 8:16 AM
Hello everyone,

I encountered a new obsticle while doing my website. As we know for example the theme machine has many blocks like: content, aside first, aside second, footer, content etc. And I wanted to ask: is it possible to set the size of the content part so, that if I put a large amount of text in that block it would make me a scroll bar ?? If it's possible, how to do it ??

Again I would be very thankfull for help.
Sep 3, 2013 at 8:56 AM
You can google for "css overflow".

Sep 3, 2013 at 9:08 AM
Thanks for the response, I have the scroll bar that I wanted now :)

But how to give these blocks a size regardless of the text amount they have in them ??
Coordinator
Sep 3, 2013 at 4:32 PM
You can google for "css width height".
Sep 3, 2013 at 4:45 PM
That was my first thought,, but unfortunetly it doesn't work. The text is still fitting the whole box and it's not scrollable.
Coordinator
Sep 4, 2013 at 12:12 AM
Try to change display. OTOH, it's not quite clear what you're trying to do: if there isn't enough text to fill the box, there won't be any scrolling involved. We 're talking about scrolling when there is too much text to fill the fixed size box you want, right?
Sep 4, 2013 at 8:10 AM
I'll explain it so:
  • the block should have a static size (for example 500x500)
  • if there isn't enough text to fill it, then show no scroll bar (and still have the example 500x500 size)
  • if there's a large amount of text, then show a scroll bar (and still have the example 500x500 size)
Sep 4, 2013 at 8:16 AM
You can see an example here, and change code to see how it behaves with overflow: auto

http://www.w3schools.com/cssref/tryit.asp?filename=trycss_overflow

Sep 4, 2013 at 8:48 AM
I know, I figured this out already ... but unfortunetly the content block is still fitting into the text and no matter what I change (for example the height) it will still take the shape of the text
Sep 4, 2013 at 8:53 AM
You can use firebug or something similar on your browser to enable/disable css rules to find out what causes this.

Sep 4, 2013 at 9:49 AM
To be more accurate: even if I change the height, only the footer moves up and down but the content block remains the same.
Coordinator
Sep 4, 2013 at 7:18 PM
I don't understand what you are saying here. What footer? What content block? Can you share screenshots maybe?
Sep 5, 2013 at 8:04 AM
Hmmm ... I really don't know how else to put it in words :/ ... Anyway I managed to figure it out: I was editing in the #layout section of the css and as I started to edit in the .zone section it worked ... All in all it was my mistake this time ... But thanks for the suggestions with overflow and height :) It saved my website