Upgrading full source code 1.6.1 to 1.7?

Topics: Installing Orchard, Troubleshooting
Aug 27, 2013 at 6:27 AM
Hey guys, I began experimenting with Orchard 1.6.1 with a simple site - and so far - i'm really enjoying it. I now wish to upgrade to 1.7, but upon reading the help docs, I couldnt see the approach for upgrading full-source - only standalone and enlistment were mentioned? I bet i've missed something simple, as i'm not the most tech savvy -- any help would be really appreciated, thanks Gil
Aug 27, 2013 at 7:04 AM
Switch to enlistment, then upgrade through git.
Aug 27, 2013 at 7:57 AM
Hey BertrandLeroy, thanks for the reply -- [currently dloading GitExtensions...] -- are you saying I should use Git to clone over-the-top my current 1.6.1 full-source folder/website with a 1.6.1 Master repository, then upgrade it? Sorry if this is really basic, but i'm still confused.
Aug 27, 2013 at 8:04 AM
Pretty much, yes. Make a backup first if you made any changes or added modules, your own or not. I recommend getting a private repo somewhere (such as Bitbucket) and setting that up as origin in Git.
Aug 27, 2013 at 10:15 AM
Or you could do the way we did it to upgrade to 1.6 'back then':

Get 1.6.1 sources and 1.7 sources, create a big patch from the differences, and apply that patch to your own source :P
Aug 29, 2013 at 4:55 AM
Thanks guys, I was mostly successful - though I came across a bug in 1.7 [that may've been fixed: https://orchard.codeplex.com/workitem/19990] and was thrown a hurdle with the TaxonomyMenuWidget not being supported anymore -- Navigation Menu is apparently the way to go -- but for the time being, it was another hurdle I could do without. I think I will start a fresh project with 1.7 so I can really sink my teeth in - thanks for your efforts, cheers Gil