Migrate project ASP.NET MVC to Orchard

Topics: Core, Customizing Orchard, General, Writing modules
Aug 21, 2013 at 1:00 PM
Hi guys, i have a application developed with ASP.NET MVC 4 + C#, and i want know if is possible to convert in a module on Orchard, and i have some questions:
  • What problems and limitations i will find?
  • What is the right way to convert an application for a module managed for Orchard?
Aug 22, 2013 at 2:22 AM
Sure. The constraints is that you don't get to do anything global without going through Orchard. For example, routes need to be moved to an implementation of IRouteProvider, and pretty much anything you'd put in the root global.asax or web.config should be moved to the appropriate Orchard-ism. Http modules, being global resources, also don't work well with Orchard, and need to be refactored into filters or something else that is nicer to other modules sharing the same environment. It's usually not that much work, and about the only issues. You then need to add a manifest for the module and it should just work. That is, unless you're doing some really funky stuff.
Aug 22, 2013 at 4:30 AM
thanks a lot for response.. i will test the convertion
Aug 23, 2013 at 2:24 AM
one more question..

I have a application central of support, working with asp.net mvc 4 to convert for a module.
My module can use several tables of a external database different of the used by the other modules?
Really is possible to convert a project like this into a module?
Aug 23, 2013 at 7:50 PM
Yes, your module can use any external database you want.
Aug 23, 2013 at 7:54 PM
Edited Aug 23, 2013 at 7:54 PM
you have a link to some examples similar?
Aug 23, 2013 at 7:58 PM
Sorry, no.