Orchard Azure cloud service: themes don't show up

Topics: Customizing Orchard, General, Installing Orchard, Writing themes
Aug 17, 2013 at 6:20 PM
Edited Aug 17, 2013 at 6:29 PM
On my Orchard Azure cloud service deployment, I'm unable to see our custom theme show up. I've followed the steps on the documentation and the custom theme works on the Orchard website version (v1.6) - it's a copy paste from there.

I'm able to get the working themes (after fixing some broken module csprojs) but getting the custom theme to appear is ... elusive.

Tried so far:
  1. Edits to the TheThemeMachine Theme.txt file => deploy => changes are seen
  2. Verification if custom theme is packaged or not => confirmed. (All files in Orchard.Azure.CloudService.cspkg\Orchard.Azure.Web_<guid>.cssx\sitesroot\0\Themes\MyCustomTheme\*.* show up. I confirmed this by opening up the cspkg via 7zip)
  3. Verified that the custom theme itself (based off Orchard Bootstrap) is functional. This is a working theme currently in production on our Orchard 1.6 Azure website, directly copied and installed per the documentation (link in 1st para of this post).
  4. Set breakpoint in Index() at Orchard.Themes.Controllers.AdminController - the custom theme isn't listed in themes at
return View(new ThemesIndexViewModel {
                CurrentTheme = currentTheme,
                InstallThemes = installThemes,
                Themes = themes
            });
Next, I'm going to try some other custom themes to see if there are some issues between 1.6 => 1.7 working or between Orchard.Web and Orchard.Azure projects ...
Aug 17, 2013 at 6:29 PM
Edited Aug 17, 2013 at 6:30 PM
I also tested with the Bootstrap-master and the Contoso themes that I just downloaded - neither worked(!?). So I'm guessing something is different across 1.6=>1.x (1.7+) when it comes to theming + Azure cloud service.
Jan 7 at 9:55 PM
I seem to be having the same problem. I can't seem to get newly installed themes to show up when hosting Orchard on Azure. I am running Orchard 1.7
Developer
Jan 9 at 4:12 PM
Did you install the theme to the solution and deployed it or did you try to install it from inside Orchard, when running on Azure? The latter won't work by default as Orchard's Precompiled build target, new to 1.7, purposely disables this for performance reasons. Honestly you shouldn't really try to install modules or themes on a live site.