Steering Committee Meeting Notes

Topics: Announcements
Developer
Aug 9, 2013 at 10:06 AM
I'm going to post here the meeting notes and the video of the Steering Committee meeting every week, starting with this week retrospectively. You can subscribe to this discussion so you'll receive updates (almost) immediately.

You can also find every meeting video in a playlist on YouTube and receive a notification there too about the new videos if you subscribe to my channel.
Developer
Aug 9, 2013 at 10:11 AM

6th of August, 2013. - Video

Notes

Aug 9, 2013 at 10:29 AM
Edited Aug 9, 2013 at 10:29 AM
Shoudn't this be done in a dedicated Topic so we could have a discussion by date ?
Coordinator
Aug 9, 2013 at 3:38 PM
I think the idea here is that you don't have to subscribe to all discussions but instead can subscribe to this one thread.
Developer
Aug 9, 2013 at 4:15 PM
Exactly!
Aug 9, 2013 at 9:41 PM
But I don't want to receive the continous flow from all comitee meetings, I only interested in some points and would prefer to subscribe only to the dates where I am interested. Don't want to be overflowed it could bring a lot of work doing seelction.
Coordinator
Aug 9, 2013 at 10:45 PM
Right, but CodePlex doesn't allow for subscriptions to just a section of the forum. That would be the ideal solution but it's not possible right now, so it'll have to do.
Aug 10, 2013 at 6:40 AM
I was speaking of the 'send me an email' facility.
If there is only one discussion with all meetings merged into, you get an emails melting for all meetings, on the other side is there i a 'Steering Committee Meeting Notes' Topic and not a simple discussion, each meeting becoming a discussion in itself, yous simply get emails for the meetings date/subject you have checked. Very easy to manage.
The other interesting point is that it would give you a measure of the interest of each meeting.
May be you are afraid that other discussions could appear her, just a matter of policy: do not authorize new discussions in this topic.
Coordinator
Aug 10, 2013 at 7:47 PM
We were all talking about the send me an email feature. You cannot get notified of the new meetings with separate threads unless you subscribed to the whole discussions forum, which is too much to ask to most people. You cannot subscribe to only one topic, unless I missed the option. If I missed the option, please point me to it. Otherwise, I think we can stop here.
Aug 10, 2013 at 8:32 PM
Edited Aug 10, 2013 at 8:34 PM
I don't agree, but as often you try to limit discussion, I am sorry for this.
you take as main postulat that people request to be informed of new meeting themes by an email.
I am not sure this is important, if they are interested by meetings they assist live or look at the video.
and if they have a comment they go to corresponding meeting discussion and add it, subscribing to emails notifs.
other option, they are interested by the discussion opened by meeting and go directly to codeplex, read, comment, subscribe.

if you put everything on a sole discussion, the flow will necessitate spending time to filter and receiving number of emails which don't interest you.

To be informed of new videos there is always YouTube subscrbing to orchard's videos.
Coordinator
Aug 11, 2013 at 1:08 AM
What don't you agree with? With the fact that you cannot subscribe to just one topic on CodePlex? I honestly have no idea at this point about what you are asking. Do you or do you not want to get notifications when the meeting notes have been posted? Do you agree at least that it's something people will want to do?
YouTube would be a good idea, and the RSS feed of the home page works too, but this was created because somebody asked explicitly for the meeting notes to be published on this forum.
Feel free to open a thread every week for each meeting. It's a public forum.
I don't try to limit discussion, but I have no patience for pointless ones. I'm sure anyone who genuinely wanted to subscribe to this thread to get notified of the new notes is gone by now. Gee.
Aug 11, 2013 at 5:22 AM
Edited Aug 14, 2013 at 2:08 PM
No comments !!!
Developer
Aug 13, 2013 at 9:37 PM
Edited Aug 13, 2013 at 9:42 PM

13th of August, 2013 - Video

Notes

  • Documentation: Adrian can't continue handling it. We do thank him for his work over the last few months, and we call out for a new owner.
  • We moved to Git. There have been a few pull requests.
  • Advice: don't force push unless you really want to create a remote head, and when using a private repo for your private forks, don't set Codeplex as the default remote.
  • AzureBlobStorage now available for any site, including azure web sites.
  • Content created event in workflows now happens when the contents actually exist, making the activity usable.
  • UrlHelper now usable from background tasks, using settings instead of context.
  • Discussion about buckets: will revive lists, simplified and improved. Custom properties will die. Will be able to be limited to a content type. Will handle hierarchies. An explicit goal is to be able to reproduce exactly the blog module with it, with no weirdness. That doesn't mean we would replace the blog module with it (maybe that will happen in 2.0).
  • Sébastien showed a nice lightweight way to store part properties using xml storage if you want to store but know you never will want to query.
  • Sites: http://www.drivereineke.com/, http://www.makeitmakati.com/, http://www.sygeboern.dk/, http://www.mccoymillsford.com/.
  • Git discussion of the announcement: next time, let's advertise it on more channels (forums, mailing list, etc.), and let's give people more time to prepare.
  • Majority of Harvest videos should be available by next week.
Aug 14, 2013 at 2:07 PM
Edited Aug 14, 2013 at 2:09 PM
1) Not clear concerning Git and how to push something

Using GitExtensions, if I want to push with changes for a 4.5 target version from a clone I have made and where I have made and committed the necessary changes what should I do.
My clone has codeplex as it origin remote.
If I use push, should I barely select 1.x ?

2) Concerning AzureBlobStorage I vote to have it included but not activated
Coordinator
Aug 17, 2013 at 5:52 AM
  1. If your changes should never be pushed to the core repo on CodePlex, don't make CodePlex the origin remote. I don't understand the 1.x question.
  2. That's already the way it is but thanks for your input.
Aug 17, 2013 at 2:09 PM
Edited Aug 17, 2013 at 2:11 PM
What should be the origin remote ? I pull from codeplex 1.x ?
when I try to push my changes, gitextension propose to select in a list of branches(?) amongst them there is 1.x, the source I am pulling from.
should I select it to push ?
Coordinator
Aug 22, 2013 at 4:48 AM
Your private fork should be origin. CodePlex should be just a remote. Push what you want to push, I can't know what that is on your behalf, sorry.
Aug 22, 2013 at 6:47 AM
Edited Aug 22, 2013 at 6:58 AM
Sorry but it's totally unclear, I have no private fork ??? should I create one?
If starting point is a Clone I have made from codeplex 1.x and locally named 1.x, and if I do a push, GitExtension ask to select where to push it and proposes a list of branches amongst them 1.x.
Sebastien in his video ask to not create new branches, should I push to 1.x ? This is the question.
Aug 22, 2013 at 7:01 AM
Yes, create a private fork to which you can push. Or clone and push to any repo you want that you own.
If you clone from the "main fork" if you will, you won't be able to push, unless you have commit rights.
Aug 22, 2013 at 7:07 AM
Thanks Sipke.
Developer
Aug 22, 2013 at 10:46 AM

20th of August - Video

Notes

Developer
Aug 31, 2013 at 7:12 PM
Edited Sep 1, 2013 at 6:03 PM

27th of August - Video

Notes

  • Lots of contributions lately, but not much testing accompanying it. Let's ask nicely when there are no tests, but not require them, as that would discourage contributions.
  • 1.7.1: still one Live Writer issue to fix. Sébastien couldn't figure out what's broken yet.
  • Awesome contributions this week, including from new people. "magic" according to Sébastien. He has been really diligent in integrating them, and interacting with the authors to finalize them.
  • Louis is working on Owin integration for Orchard?
  • Sipke demo: re-creating blogs using only the revived List module.
  • Zoltán demo: Lombiq AntiSpam: JavaScript-based anti-spam module. We wouldn't mind seeing this contributed to core, in the anti-spam module.
  • New sites: http://panorazzi.com/, http://legendarycustomhomes.com/, http://basarsoft.com.tr/, http://nowonline.nl/, http://flaminggrillpubs.com/, http://www.littlejoesautos.com/, http://muthco.com/, http://www.baytalkhobz.com/, http://newsroom.meijer.com
  • Should we have a new repositories for additional modules that we support but that are not in core? There is a problem with putting more than one module into a single repo. At least, move to git.
  • We need volunteers for Workflows and Media Library documentation topics at least. The authors can put a link to their website at the end if they want to.
Developer
Sep 3, 2013 at 10:30 PM

3rd of September - Video

Notes

Developer
Sep 12, 2013 at 3:59 PM

10th of September - Video

Notes

Developer
Sep 20, 2013 at 2:59 PM
Edited Sep 20, 2013 at 3:05 PM

17th of September - Video

Elections

  • Candidates: Bertrand Le Roy, Sipke Schoorstra (sfmskywalker), Ylan Kunstler, Travis James (GQAdonis), Sébastien Ros, Samuel Goldenbaum, Nicholas Mayne (Jetski5822), Lombiq (Piedone and nightwolf226), Piotr Szmyd (pszmyd), Antoine Griffard (agriffard).
  • Vote on Lombiq: pros and cons to having a company in the steering committee. Cons: me toos could arise: why just them? Who will vote effectively? Pros: it's good that companies get involved. Committee Vote: 3 against, 1 no opinion.
  • Voting will be handled by Brett, see this thread.

Notes

Developer
Sep 26, 2013 at 2:19 PM
Edited Sep 26, 2013 at 2:32 PM

26th of September - Video

Notes

Developer
Oct 2, 2013 at 4:57 PM

1st of October - Video

Notes

Oct 2, 2013 at 5:30 PM
Thanks!

BTW: The headlines of the last two meeting notes on orchardproject.net are incorrect (Weekly Podcast 09/17/2013).
Developer
Oct 2, 2013 at 6:07 PM
Edited Oct 2, 2013 at 6:08 PM
Thanks, it was copy-paste fail, just fixed them.
Developer
Oct 9, 2013 at 11:03 PM

8th of October

Sorry, but no video this time, because something went wrong during recording and the video is completely useless. :(
Here's an other one instead.

Notes

  • Sébastien's first act as a dictator: silence Brett. :)
  • Lombiq is auditing the SSL module.
  • Lots of perf work this week.
  • Eager fetch filter for Projections enables you to specify what part records to load up front to avoid "select n+1" problems.
  • New indexes on core content type and content item records
  • SSL module was pushed in feature/ssl branch on the main repo.
  • And now... The Shift! Orchard will start, in the next version, to store part data into the infoset that is already on the content item record (used for field storage), in addition to the records that can still be used for querying. This way, if all you need is the data, you have only one table to query. This is like using a document DB, but with minimal changes and migration. Migration will be provided for the core Orchard parts, but what about module developers? Sébastien and Bertrand to work together on exploring this and publishing a blog post on it. Next, how to apply the technique on aggregate properties. Another great thing is that those changes can be done module by module. It's not a huge breaking change at all. It's actually not breaking at all. Will be in 1.8.
  • Good quote from Sébastien: no-cache requests should always be fast. The cache is only there to handle the load.
  • New sites: http://reprographix.com/, http://boxxtech.com/, http://tucanourbano.it
  • Triage: 160+ unassigned proposed bugs.
Oct 10, 2013 at 8:20 AM
Edited Oct 10, 2013 at 8:21 AM
Disappointing because I just missed the meeting beginning where Sebastien explained how using infoset will reduce queries :(, but as errare humanum est...
Coordinator
Oct 10, 2013 at 5:20 PM
Conspiracy ...
Oct 10, 2013 at 5:44 PM
Hungarian ?
Developer
Oct 21, 2013 at 1:31 PM
Edited Oct 21, 2013 at 1:33 PM

15th of October - Video

Notes

Developer
Oct 21, 2013 at 1:32 PM
Sorry, it took me a while to get this video done. Btw no Hungarian conspiracy (actually no conspiracy at all) involved with the last video, we are very nice people. :D
Oct 21, 2013 at 2:38 PM
Just kidding :)
Developer
Oct 23, 2013 at 9:22 AM

22nd of October, 2013. - Video

Notes

  • Ylan announced that Harvest videos are here! Videos by Sean, who has done an amazing job and has worked way harder than he had to on this.
  • Sipke has been working on messaging activities and a {Template.Execute:SampleShape} token, as well as a template content type to edit those templates. Suggestion made to take this out of the list of creatable types. Old email activity will be deprecated. Coming in 1.8.
  • Sébastien showed Edward's work in implementing SideWaffle for Orchard, called Orchard Seeds and available from the VS extension gallery. Those are templates for VS and Orchard.
  • Sébastien showed his work for the internal Azure hack-a-thon, a Contents as a Service solution based on Orchard. It creates new tenants on an Orchard instance hosted on Azure, from a front-end subscription screen, then you get a naked Orchard admin, that can provide contents from an API. He then showed a PHP application consuming the contents, as well as a Knockout SPA, and a Windows 8 modern application. Orchard.RestApi implements those services. Has a new event to expose parts and fields to those new apis. It's not using export, but a base implementation could use export by default (to be discussed). There is the beginning of an OData implementation as well. Permissions will be implemented through API keys. Will also work with caching.
  • Brett announced that Onestop.Layouts is open source. This is a dynamic layout module, that can be thought of as an admin replacement for placement: you create layouts and templates using rows, columns, and then insert elements such as images, videos, parts and fields into those templates. An example of a site using this module is http://www.johnvarvatos.com/.
  • New websites: http://visitjamaica.com, http://electricfactory.info/, http://www.adelaidebariatriccentre.com.au/, http://www.irvinecompany.com/, http://realtyshares.com/, http://www.sygevoksne.dk/, http://www.licensespot.com/.
  • Changesets: Sébastien fixed a major "select n+1" issue in blog archives and user role lazy loading; a comment notification issue with spam checks; Daniel fixed VS references; Sébastien added Content:5@Group1#Tab1 placement to send shapes to admin menu groups and tabs (you can now create site settings without code, just placement); fixed media filter exceptions.
  • Triage: 158 proposed.
Nov 5, 2013 at 6:29 PM
Will there be meeting notes/recordings for 29th of October? I think many Europeans have missed that meeting due to end of DST. As far as I remember a presentation of OneStop.Layouts was scheduled for last week’s meeting, thus it's probably quite interesting for many Orchard users/devs.
Coordinator
Nov 5, 2013 at 8:15 PM
The video has not yet been published by Sébastien. He also has the meeting notes.

I'll do a demo of Onestop.Layouts another week, when I have a little less work.
Developer
Nov 7, 2013 at 4:09 PM

29th of October, 2013 - Video

(not yet published)

5th of November, 2013 - Video

Notes

  • Wrappers are now shapes, and thus can have alternates. No code is currently adding alternates to those shapes yet however. Would be nice to create the same alternates we create from core or from url and widget alternates to wrappers.
  • The shift is advancing. Easiest are settings: records have been removed as they are no longer necessary. Lots of tables are disappearing. Blog post explaining the shift. A vanilla site's home page now has 6 queries, and those are also simpler, with fewer joins.
  • Third party modules can, but don't have to apply the shift techniques. Nwazet.Commerce has already shifted. If you don't want to change your module, you don't have to, but if you want to, you can just change your part getters and setters to use Store and Retrieve. This way, they will just migrate smoothly as you use them.
  • Harvest: the next one will be in the Seattle area, but the dates are not known yet. Maybe in the winter so we can go skiing.
  • Triage: 139 proposed, 10 triaged.
Nov 7, 2013 at 5:42 PM
Just read the blogpost explaining the shift. I definitely see the advantage in both performance and flexibility. Has JSON been looked into for the infoset storage instead of XML? Not only for performance and flexibility, but also for persistence and retrieval issues with XML encoding for example...
Coordinator
Nov 7, 2013 at 5:44 PM
XML proved to be faster to parse than JSON. Also the current data is already in XML.

Keep in mind we are not using XmlSerializer, but custom serialization. Thus the serialization process is whatever we want.
Nov 7, 2013 at 6:44 PM
Ok, I guess you're using XmlWriter then?
Nov 8, 2013 at 12:05 PM
Just a thought, why don't have non tech video meetings each month concerning all the subjects around Orchard CMS as an open source ?
May be in different languages ?
Cheapper than real meetings and Harvests...
Coordinator
Nov 11, 2013 at 6:46 AM
Non technical topics are more than welcome at the regular meetings. If you want to organize additional meetings in other languages, you're welcome to do so.
Developer
Nov 18, 2013 at 3:34 PM
Edited Nov 18, 2013 at 3:42 PM

12th of November, 2013 - Video

Notes

  • Need people to work on the Deployment module.
  • Perf: removed IBlogPathConstraint and AliasUpdater, fixed multitenancy perf issue with lots of tenants.
  • New requirement for multi-tenancy: if using several host names for tenants, if you expect "example.com" to work for all subdomains, you need to replace with "*.example.com".
  • Wrappers as shapes reverted.
  • SSL lets you enter settings before it kicks in (and asks you to).
  • 1.7.x merged into 1.x and master.
  • 1.7.2 will be released today or tomorrow.
  • Next will be 1.8 (will include TheShift, Lists, Messaging, etc.).
  • Demo by Zoltán (Lombiq.Abstractions): quick parts implement a part using dynamic proxies where properties are simply virtual Foo {get;set;}. Introduces simpler replacements for driver and placement (suggestions were made to make that more consistent with existing stuff). See the examples on how to use it: Lombiq.Abstractions.Examples.
  • New sites: http://wexperandyou.com/, http://mb3m.fr/.
  • Triage: 128 proposed.
Developer
Nov 24, 2013 at 1:09 PM
Edited Nov 24, 2013 at 1:09 PM

19th of November, 2013 - Video

Notes

Developer
Dec 1, 2013 at 4:12 PM
Edited Dec 4, 2013 at 4:33 PM

26th of November, 2013 - Video

Notes

Developer
Dec 4, 2013 at 4:32 PM
Edited Dec 4, 2013 at 4:33 PM

3rd of December, 2013 - Video

Notes

Dec 4, 2013 at 5:39 PM
Edited Dec 4, 2013 at 5:39 PM
When we setup a new site for a client how do we submit it as a candidate for your new sites list?
Coordinator
Dec 4, 2013 at 5:49 PM
@BruceHodge, you can send us an email using the information on this page: http://orchardproject.net/discussions

Usually we find them randomly as they get discovered by tools like Alexa.com
Developer
Dec 16, 2013 at 3:53 PM

10th of December, 2013 - Video

Notes

Developer
Dec 18, 2013 at 2:20 PM
Edited Dec 18, 2013 at 2:23 PM

17th of December, 2013 - Video

Notes

Dec 19, 2013 at 11:54 AM
"redoing config" - I tried to find some information what needs to be done, but didn't find any information. Can anybody please provide some information about what needs to be done?

If it's such a breaking change I'd like to suggest to call the next version 2.0 and not 1.8 (I also think that InfoSets alone would already justify a switch of the version to 2.x)
Developer
Dec 19, 2013 at 12:16 PM
"Redoing config of static file folders" meant that the Web.config files in the Scripts and Styles folder also had to be modified, because of an unwanted modification in the Orchard.Web Web.config, which in the end caused the static resources to be invisible to the server.
If you take the latest Orchard.Web Web.config from the 1.x branch, you don't have to modify the static resource Web.configs and they will work as before. The fix is basically adding back the following lines to the beginning of the <system.webServer> section:
<!-- prevent iis from only allowing integrated mode configuration -->
    <validation validateIntegratedModeConfiguration="false" />
Developer
Jan 10 at 3:23 PM

7th of January, 2014 - Video

Notes for the new year's first meeting!

Jan 11 at 7:41 PM
As far as I can see 1.8 will be a huge impacting change for already running and 'complex sites', wouldn't it be interesting to concentrate migration experieces in an 'Orchard 1.8 migration' new discussion ?
Coordinator
Jan 13 at 3:34 AM
Clearly. Migration will be crucial. We'll need beta testers, too.
Developer
Jan 15 at 4:48 PM

14th of January, 2014 - Video

Notes

  • Status: commits for the week.
  • Demo: e-mail wrapper template, email message templates, including for core messages (user confirmation, etc.), emails can now be queued (uses a new jobs queue that can queue an event).
  • Demo: addition to workflow token provider.
  • New sites: http://mfex.com, http://someoneelse.net/, http://omni.org/, http://cps-dom.com/.
  • Update on new site wireframes. Suggestion to have a download counter somewhere.
  • Triage: 186 proposed.
  • Sébastien still late for Harvest. Next week. Then again, late harvest? Yum.
Developer
Jan 27 at 5:54 PM

21st of January, 2014 - Video

Notes

Developer
Jan 29 at 1:28 PM

28th of January, 2014 - Video

Notes

Developer
Feb 8 at 11:02 PM

4th of February, 2014 - Video

Notes

Developer
Feb 13 at 1:33 PM
Edited Feb 13 at 1:34 PM

11th of February, 2014 - Video

Notes

  • Status: several small additions and changes in the last week: e.g. feature selector list for tenants made nicer, blogpost and blog archives count fixed/improved.
  • Daniel Stolt's demo on culture-specific calendars and datepickers. You can select a default calendar pattern (e.g. Japanese, Persian) for your site to adapt the behaviour of dates according to the request's culture. Besides, Daniel refactored how Orchard handles dates in various places (removed the duplications and created one, consistent implementation called IDateManager). These changes are not yet pulled into the source at the moment.
  • Discussion about the possibility to setup an Orchard instance only to serve as an API-endpoint without UI. Separate module in the gallery or core module? Recipe-based setup and multi-tenancy integration mentioned.
  • Bertrand's demo: CustomSortAdmin (added to the Vandelay.Industries module): a projection query sort criteria provider that enables you to add custom ordering to the items in the query.
  • New Orchard websites: http://transas.com/, http://www.galpinvolkswagen.com/, http://shipleyglentramway.co.uk/, http://www.hondaofdecatur.com/, http://healthedeals.com/, http://www.futurederm.com/, http://muthco.com/.
Developer
Feb 20 at 9:40 PM

18th of February, 2014 - Video

Notes

Developer
Mar 8 at 1:24 PM
Edited Mar 8 at 2:22 PM

4th of March, 2014 - Video

Notes

  • Sorry for not having a meeting last week, we'll make up for it for sure!
  • Status: several smaller and some bigger changes and fixes in the last 2 weeks. The biggest one is that Daniel's non-gregorian calendar support changes and refactorings (demoed a few weeks ago) are pulled into source on the 1.x branch. Castle libraries are upgraded 3.2.0.
  • Demos by Sébastien:
    • RssPart (1.x): a new content part that enables you to customize what data is shown in the RSS feeds for content items using Tokens.
    • Added a small feature to close comments automatically on a content item after X days without using a workflow.
    • Bertrand's Tag Cloud (widget that computes and displays a cloud of tags) and Feedburner (related to the RssPart) features are pulled into the source (and they are removed from Vandelay.Industries).
  • Demo by IDeliverable: Ajax Widget module. AjaxifyPart is useful for loading dynamic content into parts of a page asynchronously, especially if the page is cached (caching should be disabled for the route used by module). After the loading is finished, the markup is completely identical to what it would be without async loading. Possible improvement discussed for handling static resources.
  • Demo by Lombiq: "something about MultiTenancy" - DotNest, the first software-as-a-service solution for Orchard, driven by completely stateless servers on Azure. The product is in preview, but works completely: after signing up, you can create and set up tenants for yourself, though there are some technical limitations. Some of the modules behind DotNest are / will be open-sourced. See the DotNest knowledge base for more information.
  • The upcoming Orchard version will be 1.8 - to be released soon.
  • Orchard Harvest: current plan for date is 2nd and 3rd of June (Mon-Tue, but still a subject of change). The number of attendees may be limited (maybe at 100 or 150) for the sake of flexibility regarding choosing the conference room.
  • Microsoft Open Technologies will have a demo next week: a module developed by IDeliverable for MS OpenTech, that is a good candidate for integration to the Core!
Developer
Mar 12 at 11:21 PM

11th of March, 2014 - Video

Notes

  • Demo by Roopali Kaujalgi (MS Open Tech) in collaboration with IDeliverable: WAMS (Windows Azure Media Services) integration to MediaLibrary! You can manage your videos stored using WAMS in your Orchard instance, then convert it to different enconding formats and resolutions. Supports live and on-demand streaming (Flash and HTML5), DRM and access policies, subtitles. MS Open Tech is ready to transfer ownership to Outercurve so it can be integrated to the core (including future updates).
  • Demo by Benjamin: a pull request to MediaLibrary with changes that solve the problem of loading the folder structure from e.g. Azure taking too long by loading the subfolder structures asynchronously (when they are needed).
  • Announcement by Brett: Brett left Onestop to work in a new startup (in music industry), his position is taken Jorge Agraz. Welcome Jorge and good luck Brett on your adventure!
  • Harvest: current plan is to extend the conference to 3 days, probably 9-10-11 of June!
  • Status: PRs reviewed and pulled in by Sébastien, including Daniel's non-gregorian calendar support (see last week's notes). Also, a few small changes, Orchard.Azure changes for better configuration of settings (including the possibility to use a custom public host name for storage), SMTP settings can be set in the Web.config and a custom NHibernate configuration is applied to enhance performance.
  • Sébastien is working on an internal project called MSC (what does it mean?). Also, what about TBM? :)
Developer
Mar 20 at 1:51 PM

18 of March, 2014 - Video

Notes

  • Harvest: 9-10-11 of June (almost 100% fixed). Hotel room discount possible for attendees. You'll soon be able submit your presentation ideas and besides that, you can apply to be a presenter too if you'd like to adopt a topic (e.g. Localization, SignalR and more).
  • Status: a whole bunch of small fixes coming from direct contributions and pull requests. Benjamin's pull request (with the async loading of Media Library folders - see the demo from last week) also pulled in. There's now a setting for maximum page size.
  • Triaged ~20 proposed issues with highest vote count.
  • Orchard 1.8 release: soon, but there's a bugfixing wishlist on the forum.
Developer
Mar 28 at 4:17 PM

25 of March, 2014 - Video

Notes

  • Sébastien is working on some important fixes for 1.7.3/1.8. 1.7.3 is for bugfixes, 1.8 is for bigger changes and it will be a major performance boost. Migration from 1.7.x will have no special steps.
  • The official Halo website uses Orchard as a blog engine.
  • Harvest finally confirmed for 9-10-11 of June! Number of attendees limited at 150.
Mar 28 at 5:32 PM
Edited Mar 28 at 5:32 PM
How can we register for Harvest?
Coordinator
Mar 28 at 6:12 PM
We are waiting for the website to be ready
Developer
Apr 4 at 6:37 PM

1st of April, 2014 - Video

Notes

  • 1.8 has been re-released twice because of last-minute bugs, but they are fixed now. 1.8 is already available in WebPI and the Azure Gallery.
  • WAMS integration to Orchard will be a topic discussed at the Build conference!
  • The official Halo website not only uses Orchard to power its blog, but also uses the Orchard.Azure.MediaServices module.
  • Migration from after a certain point of 1.x to 1.8 requires a special step described in a forum topic due to a bug in data storage.
  • The next version number will be 1.8.1 for bugfixes.
  • Discussion about ideas for 1.9 has started on the forums. Sébastien's plans for new modules: audit trail, REST API, deployment (handling staging and production environments), dynamic layouts, localization improvements. Others' ideas: SignalR, admin UI redesign with Bootstrap, OWIN, ASP.NET Identity 2.0, content deployment, SQLite, PostgreSQL.
  • Orchard Module Competition 2.0 is coming soon, organized by Lombiq, executed by the core community members. Places, prizes, great modules and beautiful themes! Results will be announced at Harvest.
  • HP PurchasEdge is NOT a phising website, but a genuine HP-related website that exists for 10 years and was migrated 2 years ago to Orchard 1.3.
  • The website for Orchard Harvest 2014 is live (and updated)! See the summary of important details about the event on the forums.
Apr 7 at 2:29 PM
Who spoke to the guy who did the HP PurchasEdge site? Does anyone have his contact info? Thanks!!
Developer
Apr 8 at 4:24 PM
mattdunn wrote:
Who spoke to the guy who did the HP PurchasEdge site? Does anyone have his contact info? Thanks!!
I did. I've sent an email to Doug to contact you (via CodePlex).
Developer
Apr 9 at 12:44 PM

8th of April, 2014 - Video

Notes

  • Status: few changes since the 1.8 release. One of them is a small one that improves performance when having a huge amount (millions) of content items. MaxPagedCount property added as a site setting to prevent users from displaying huge amount of content items at once, which could cause a major disruption in performance.
  • Orchard Pros: a platform to connect the members of the Orchard community to exchange knowledge and help each other by solving problems, answer tickets and hunt "bounties" in a gamified manner.
  • There already are a few speaker submissions for Harvest.
Developer
Apr 16 at 6:09 PM

15th of April, 2014 - Video

Notes