Using external image sources such as SmugMug with Orchard

Topics: Administration, Customizing Orchard
Aug 4, 2013 at 4:38 PM
Hi, I was wondering if it would be feasible to use the new MediaLibrary with Orchard 1.7 to connect to external image sources such as SmugMug. Is it possible to create a MediaType SmugMug or something that would allow me to simply select images to show on my content item coming from this external image source?

Hopefully this is making sense. I was thinking about simply creating an AdminController to configure access to the external source and then creating a Part that allows to configure the gallery to connect to in this external source. But then I was looking at the MediaLibrary and was hopingto be able to plug into this?
Aug 5, 2013 at 12:22 AM
Aug 5, 2013 at 5:35 AM
Ok, thanks for the acknowledgement. How would I go about it though? I checked the MediaLibraryService code, but noticed that it all pretty much depends on a folder path. The reference to the external source would be more about keeping the images in the external source and just referencing them from there, rather than pulling them into local folders, for the obvious reason of storage on smaller hosting environments. Any thoughts on how I'd best approach this?
Aug 5, 2013 at 7:09 AM
Look at how it's done for YouTube videos.
Aug 5, 2013 at 7:22 AM
Ok, I'm guessing you are talking about VideoPart and VideoFactory? Can you elaborate a bit on how this is used? I have just registered for the Bing Search API and tried both the Web Search and Media URL but I can't seem to get any Video result so I can try to debug in this. How does one go abouot using Youtube videos with Orchard? Can you point me to some form of resource? I definitely don't need you to spill it out for me, just a starting point would be great. Thanks in advance.
Aug 5, 2013 at 7:34 AM
No, you do it with the OEmbed part. Works for YouTube, Vimeo, etc.
Aug 5, 2013 at 7:42 AM
Ah I see, perfect. Thanks for the info :)