Evaluating Orchard: video manageement

Topics: General
Aug 2, 2013 at 5:44 PM
Hi

We evaluating Orchard as the possible CMS for us. We are also considering Drupal too.

Our organization is a cultural institution and so we have lots of videos at YouTube.

We would like the CMS we have is strong in video management, which means that it is best to support the following things:
  1. Easily add, organize, and find video records into the system (video clips are stored in YouTube)
  2. Easily create and program a page to select certain videos and display them in
    1) listing style
    2) grid style
    3) easily build a page just for a single video plus other info such as the story behind a video
Is there any Orchard module that can do these?

Thanks for any info!
Aug 2, 2013 at 6:24 PM
Yes, orchard can do that easily. for example, one way to do this would be:
  1. create a custom content type and add the appropriate fields, e.g. video embed html, title etc.
  2. create a query for that content type and choose a layout (e.g. grid)
  3. create a projection for the query
  4. hit view on the query and you're done.
Takes about 3 mins to do that if you are familiar with Orchard.

That's all out of the box. No need to install any additional modules.

When you have that working, you could also define custom layouts (e.g. via contrib.projection layouts which is installed from the gallery)

For the single video page, you could simply create a custom content type with the video embed html as a field. As you are new to Orchard, I would try to do that first.
Aug 2, 2013 at 6:47 PM
Thanks so much for your input!

I don't see any info in your reply about how to organize and find added videos. Any thought on that?

Does Orchard have any existing module for all these things?

Regards.
Aug 2, 2013 at 8:31 PM
Edited Aug 2, 2013 at 8:33 PM
On the admin side, as they are all content types, you can use the standard search features and filters.

You can also use Taxonomies to categorise your videos.

On the user side, you would normally use projections and queries as described.

(There is also a media library in version 1.7, but I believe that is for locally uploaded content, rather than external content. I haven't used it yet though, so I can't be sure).

Tbh you should just install Orchard and start playing around with content types and projections to get a feel for it and see if it meets your needs.

There are some intro videos about Orchard here: http://docs.orchardproject.net/Documentation/Orchard-TV
Aug 2, 2013 at 9:22 PM
Orchard would be well suited to build the application you've described so far. You might feel overwhelmed initially versus a Drupal solution, but if you play with Orchard a little bit, you'll find it's far more powerful in terms of customization.
Coordinator
Aug 4, 2013 at 5:07 AM
Organize and find anything: taxonomies, search and projections.
Jul 10, 2014 at 5:01 PM
Edited Jul 10, 2014 at 6:04 PM
Re:
Yes, orchard can do that easily. for example, one way to do this would be:
create a custom content type and add the appropriate fields, e.g. video embed html, title etc.
create a query for that content type and choose a layout (e.g. grid)
create a projection for the query
hit view on the query and you're done.

I am using Orchard 1.8.

How do I get the results of the query and projection onto a page?

I want to be able to and have users of the system be able to create pages that have something more the body part. For example the home page and other pages may have the same content, so in theory (if I understand the system and the use of content types), one should be able to create a content type and an instance of it with content and reuse it on multiple pages (applying the Don't Repeat Yourself "D.R.Y" philosophy).

Also I would like to create a content type as a template container so to speak that I can put on any page and have the end user add/edit the content. For example, if I have a area of a page that is a "Learn More" content structure or design pattern and it has an image, a title below it and then some descriptive text below that and then finally a button with the text "Learn More" that has a URL that takes you to a page in the system.

This is a design pattern that repeats a lot in the site, but the content varies, different image, title, descriptive text, and URl attached to the button.

So how does one pull this of in Orchard, step by step? How is a new content type created, instantiated and added to a page and placed so to speak in the design structure and the content added/edited and more importantly by not only a developer, but end users that would have no development skills?

I have watched every video:

AriasAmp Orchard CMS "Jump Start": Parts 1-4
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5nzE0BWn4y3KmuCmH6BkQ

Orchard CMS Module - 1 thru 12 by
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkvZPDnFbZXxW6wIsWjT5bQ

Every video at http://orcharddojo.net/

I am no closer to getting a basic new content type created and placed on a page in Orchard.

How do I get the results of the query and projection onto a page? Step by step would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,

K.E.