multi-tenancy - query another tenant

Topics: Customizing Orchard, Writing modules
Jul 22, 2013 at 4:47 PM
Edited Jul 22, 2013 at 5:05 PM
I'd like to be able to create a 'top-hat' navigation menu that is common across all tenants in a multi-tenant site.

For this purpose, I will create a custom menu widget.

Normally, a menu widget calls code something like this:
                var sharedMenu = _contentManager.Query<TitlePart, TitlePartRecord>()
                    .Where(x => x.Title == "My Shared Menu")
                    .ForType("Menu")
                    .Slice(0, 1)
                    .FirstOrDefault();
The menu however, is only stored in the default tenant tables. So it would not work for other tenants (i.e. sharedMenu would be null).

Q1. Am I right in thinking WebAPI is the correct course here? (I'm guessing I shouldn't be hacking sessionLocator etc.)
Q2. If I do use WebAPI, just to save time, any examples anywhere showing e.g. menu (or other content item) deserialisation via WebAPI?
Q3. Is using WebAPI much cleaner/faster than using a partial Html view on the default site and ajax injecting it? (which would need no deserialisation).
Developer
Jul 22, 2013 at 5:15 PM
Content Manager (and NH session) is scoped to a tenant - you won't be able to perform cross-tenant queries this way without significant core changes.

A1. I'd go for it and just load those items from JS via WebAPI from the default tenant.
A2. You would need to create your own ApiController that performs a query for menu items and returns the necessary data. Don't return contents of the query directly - they cannot be serialized. You need to create some DTO or use anonymous objects based on the query results and return those.
A3. Definitely. The drawback is that you'd need to handle HTML generation from JS, not server-side.
Coordinator
Jul 22, 2013 at 9:04 PM
I'd add that multitenancy is not designed to create sections of a site, but rather to create isolated sites. It's to improve site density, not to federate web sites.
Jul 23, 2013 at 9:03 AM
Edited Jul 23, 2013 at 9:31 AM
@pszmyd - thanks, very helpful.

@betrand - they are distinct, isolated sites, with the sole exception of the top-most navigation. (I realise we're not exactly using tenants as designed in the case of the nav, but just looking for the best workaround for our requirements).