Slow performance on dedicated virtual machine

Topics: General, Troubleshooting
Jul 22, 2013 at 2:39 AM
I've just deployed a site to an Amazon AWS dedicated VM running Windows Server 2012 with 1.7GB RAM.

The site runs quite decent on my local machine but it is really slow in this production environment. CPU usage goes crazy with just a single request. On my machine, pages load in around 1 second. On production, it's more like 5 seconds.

Could you please help me to improve this somehow? Thanks
Developer
Jul 22, 2013 at 4:52 PM
Haven't seen such issue on a dedicated server (not a VM though). Performance tweaking is a very broad subject - you need to pinpoint the source of the problem first.
  • Try attaching a remote debugger to see what's taking that much of the CPU.
  • Look at App_Data/Logs for any unusual exceptions being thrown.
  • Which Orchard version are you using (I'd advise going for 1.7RC and 1.7 that will come this or the next week)?
  • Is it a vanilla Orchard instance or are you using some custom modules? Most of the time it's custom modules that are responsible for performance problems. Try and see if you can repro it with a plain vanilla Orchard.
Jul 23, 2013 at 12:46 AM
Edited Jul 23, 2013 at 12:46 AM
Thanks, I will look into some of your suggestions.

We upgraded the EC2 instance from m1.small to m1.medium (double RAM/CPU) and the performance is now much more acceptable. But I think it could still be improved so I will look into these things.

I'm running 1.6, but upgrading to 1.7 could be a huge challenge though as I had to modify a whole bunch of core code to achieve some things!
Jul 24, 2013 at 7:24 AM
Did you manage to fix this? I'm interested in this bug too. I had some problems with Orchard taking to many ressources too.
Jul 24, 2013 at 7:48 AM
It's one of those things where I'd love to spend time fixing it but for now it's good enough so I'm gonna live with it and move on to more pressing projects!