Existing MVC

Topics: Administration, Core, Customizing Orchard, General, Installing Orchard
Jul 17, 2013 at 5:10 PM
Hi

I have an existing MVC application. The business now want to have HR managed pages i.e. welcome, notifications... that hr will be allow to edit (certain managers)

Is it possible to do the following with Orchard

1: Create pages via orchard that i can then integrate into my existing application
2: when a page needs editing by hr to use the authentication process that the current app uses

BUT first - its the integration process i am at this point interested in.

thanks

Jackie
Jul 17, 2013 at 10:41 PM
If all you want is to have some editable pages, it is probably easier to just build that functionality yourself. I'd need to know more details about your MVC application to say how easy it would be to integrate it. But it really doesn't sound worth the effort.
Jul 18, 2013 at 7:25 AM
Hi Hazza,

Thanks for quick response.

The cms pages are needed to allow team of users to modify pages dynamically - i,e, add new links, upload new docs - without requiring developers to manage these.. information pages.

As we have a main app the business want to have these cms pages as welcome pages and/or menu item links where necessary. however, they need to be editable by the admin staff so that they can update notifications, add new training links etc.. Hence the reason i believe that a cms process would be ideal.

I have narrowed it down to Orchard and umbraco.... Perfer Orchard as the app we have here is mvc3.

Thanks
Coordinator
Jul 19, 2013 at 2:24 AM
Orchard only allows for integration as Orchard modules, but integrating Orchard into an existing application (the other way around) has never been a supported scenario, sorry.
Jul 20, 2013 at 8:11 PM
If your application is written with SOLID principals it should be posible to convert it to Orcahrd.Module. If not.

Write Orchard module with controllers and widgets which will just display data from separate application. You will treat Orchard as kind of presentation proxy for your application.
Jul 21, 2013 at 8:57 PM
  1. Run Orchard in an IIS virtual folder under your main app?
  2. You can implement a custom Orchard authentication module (but you better have a really good dev on your team).
Developer
Jul 22, 2013 at 4:03 PM
Please take a look at this solution I wrote a while ago - it's still perfectly valid when it comes to integrating existing MVC app into Orchard: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5269170/integrate-existing-asp-net-mvc-application-with-orchard-cms/5270458#5270458