Initial set-up errors

Topics: Installing Orchard
Jul 11, 2013 at 11:54 AM
Hello there,

I'm trying to set this up on a testing env using Windows 2008 Standard with .NET 4.5 and Medium Trust.

The documentation advises that it should work "out of the box" with a medium trust environment.

I've downloaded the Orchardweb 1.6 zip file, extracted the files, then uploaded to the root directory.

However, when visiting the URL for the page, I was expecting the initial setup, but getting this instead:

Please can you advise on things we can do to try and sort this out? We have full access to the server, so can RDP etc if needed.

Many thanks,

Jul 11, 2013 at 2:25 PM
As far as I know, medium trust support has been dropped.

What page said you get the medium trust 'out of the box'?
Jul 11, 2013 at 2:33 PM
Thanks for getting back to me,

The information is on this page here: under "Trust Level"

Jul 11, 2013 at 5:51 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I fixed that documentation page.
Jul 12, 2013 at 7:12 AM
That's a real shame that the support was dropped for Medium Trust.

How come this was dropped? Surely you'd want to open up the userbase for this CMS.

A lot of hosting companies don't provide full trust for obvious reasons, so Medium Trust is the only option for them.

Is there any tweaks that can be done to provide a version that works with Medium Trust?

Thanks in advance for any information,

Jul 12, 2013 at 5:13 PM
It's been explained many times. Medium trust is no longer a Microsoft recommended setting for hosting companies. The reasons for refusing full trust are not at all "obvious" and are in fact non-existing today. There are no compelling benefits and lots of reasons not to support it.