Deploying via WebDeploy with TFS-build package

Topics: Core
Jul 2, 2013 at 8:56 PM
Bertrand Le Roy indicates his preference for using Web Deploy packages here:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12967303/problems-deploying-building-a-working-orchard-cms-website/12979032#12979032

So, I'm trying to follow that advice as a best practice. I've setup my TFS build to create the package by building the solution with /p:DeployOnBuild, and this works. The Orchard.Web folder in the package has its bin, but the Modules do not have bin folders. When I deploy to a server and run Orchard, no dependencies are added to the Dependencies folder, and the modules don't seem to build (still no bin folders). I get a long list of missing DLLs for modules in the Logs.

I've tried dropping the lib directory at the usual location (two directories up from the base of the web project), and that didn't resolve it either. Not really sure how to proceed.. any help would be appreciated. I'd really like to get this working using TFS (so not building locally using the .cmd files).
Coordinator
Jul 3, 2013 at 9:58 AM
Jul 3, 2013 at 1:12 PM
Bertrand - yes, I had seen that. However, in the StackOverflow post, you seemed to point to a different method of deploying (Web Deploy). Are you saying that Web Deploy is not recommended? I got excited when I saw that post because it implies that building the deployment package is something we could do with a TFS build.
Coordinator
Jul 3, 2013 at 8:42 PM
No, I'm not saying that at all. I was pointing you to that article because it seems like your compilation options to build the package are not right.
Jul 5, 2013 at 4:09 PM
So, it seems like the directions there are for a local build that doesn't create a package (which is borne out when I run it locally) . If I specify "/t:Precompiled Orchard.proj" in the TFS uild as the MSBuild Arguments, I get the following error:

MSBUILD : error MSB1008: Only one project can be specified. Switch: Orchard.proj For switch syntax, type "MSBuild /help"

If I just do "/t:Precompiled," I get the following:

[...]\Sources\src\Orchard.sln.metaproj: The target "Precompiled" does not exist in the project.

If I change the build to just build the project and not the solution, the behavior is the same (for both sets of arguments).

If I switch the project from "only files needed to run this application" to "all files in this project folder," it builds a 150mb zip file which contains module obj folders but not bin folders.

I see a suggestion to create a new target here: http://stackoverflow.com/a/8391459/128217
Is this what I need to do?

Any direction on which options I need would be greatly appreciated.
Coordinator
Jul 6, 2013 at 3:05 AM
It looks like the issue is TFS here. Any TFS experts want to chime in? (I personally abhor the thing and avoid it at all costs)
Feb 3, 2015 at 9:12 AM
Did anyone figure this out? I'm having the same issue, but I'm a bit bewildered as to how to proceed.