Workflow for migrating Orchard from Azure Websites => Azure Cloud services?

Topics: Administration, Core, General, Installing Orchard
Jun 28, 2013 at 7:53 PM
Edited Jun 28, 2013 at 7:54 PM
We are seeing two issues (#1 and #2) with Orchard on Azure Cloud Services so for the time being we've published Orchard 1.6 onto Azure Websites and are continuing to run the rest of our custom app on Azure Cloud Services (which it must-technical reasons). We dislike managing two separate online properties so eventually we'd like to consolidate everything to Azure Cloud services, when Orchard 1.7 comes out or when Orchard is just mature for Azure cloud services.

Having said that, what does the process look like when migrating an Azure Website over to Azure Cloud services? The database/connection string portion is straightforward (it's on Azure SQL) but the local storage (Azue website) => Azure blob storage (Azure cloud services) is a bit opaque for us.

Would appreciate the input.
Developer
Jun 28, 2013 at 8:49 PM
This might not be all that helpful but I'd put the website to a VM instead. A small VM is priced the same as a WS usable with a custom domain but
  • you have all the flexibility of a full VM and
  • the performance is mind-blowing.
Jun 28, 2013 at 9:21 PM
We need to keep our custom app on Azure Cloud Services for a lot of real-world reasons. So even if VMs have better performance are cheaper, we can't really migrate.

We'll just hold out till Orchard 1.7 fixes Azure Cloud Service deployments.

BTW, amazing work on Orchard - to all the developers!! The internals of Orchard are very elegant and it's so easy to extend it. We looked at Composite C1 and Umbraco but loved Orchard. If 1.7 works well with Azure Cloud Services, that will make this is absolute best CMS to play with. That will in turn attract module developers, skinners etc etc. I think you guys are onto something in making a vibrant community. I do wish it was based on the more popular Unity and Entity Framework so that the friction to "embrace and extend" was as close to zero.
Developer
Jun 28, 2013 at 9:55 PM
I meant if it's a question between AWS and VMs I'd go with VMs.

Glad you like Orchard :-). FYI Entity Framework was something very new and immature at the time Orchard's development start, that's why the vote for NHibernate (not that I was on the team at that time, but others told).
Coordinator
Jun 28, 2013 at 11:48 PM
Can you make it work with Azure Cloud Services while I am fixing some other last minute bugs ?

Thanks ;)
Jun 29, 2013 at 4:13 PM
What are the issues with Orchard 1.7 running as a Cloud Service right now?

And any rough idea of the perf. difference of Azure VM's over CS or Azure Web Sites?
Jun 29, 2013 at 5:56 PM
Edited Jun 29, 2013 at 5:58 PM
For azure web site the Pb was stability in time through web deploys.
You may get a good perf on time T but no constant level...
Jul 1, 2013 at 8:36 PM
For the media/storage part, check out this discussion: http://orchard.codeplex.com/discussions/380267

I was having the same thought as you, use a Azure Website for Orchard, and Blob storage for the media.
This will save you some requests on Azure WebSites. Got it working on a test site.

Ultimately all the orchard resources (themes, css, images, javascript) could come from blob storage. This would save some bandwidth on the Free Azure Websites option.