Making a custom module feed

Topics: Customizing Orchard, General
Jun 25, 2013 at 6:40 AM
I'll rephrase this from my previous posts.

We'd like to be able to host our own modules on a feed. I realise this is against the whole open source thing, but frankly I don't believe anyone would want these modules - they will be too specific. Of course if any do prove any good I'm sure we'll contribute them to the community!

There appears to be very, very little about doing this for Orchard. I found this:

https://orchard.codeplex.com/discussions/447636

Which I've followed very carefully and added to even, but no one has responded. Am I asking the wrong question here? Surely others have needed to create custom feeds!

Let me know if you have any ideas on how to do this.
Coordinator
Jun 26, 2013 at 3:24 AM
First, you can do whatever you want with your own modules ;) There is no obligation to make them open source.

The situation with the gallery code is not great currently but we'll hopefully fix that soon. In the meantime, do you really need it on a feed? Can you tell us a bit more about your environment and scenario?
Jun 26, 2013 at 4:51 AM
Thanks for the response Bertrand.

We are planning on building a sizeable application and at the moment I'm in charge of developing a prototype which will 'prove' it can be done - and Orchard looks like the best choice around at this point. Anyway, this application will consist of a number of modules that can be added and removed according to requirements. We also want to support versioning of these modules in a controlled fashion. Certain clients will get access to certain modules, and the versions of these could vary (as in we can't simply just force everyone to have the latest version). I can do this with a regular Nuget feed, but they can only be added via VS, where we'd like to be able to add and enable them while Orchard is running. The plan is to host all of this on Azure.

GalleryServer is well suited to our needs, we just can't figure out how to get packages onto an instance of it!

Thanks again.
Coordinator
Jun 26, 2013 at 5:29 AM
GalleryServer is unfortunately outdated and hard to set-up. There is another thread on this forum that you may be interested in following however if you decide to go that route.

Also, depending on how many modules that represents, you may want to include them all, and only enable them for the right customers: if you don't give them the permissions to enable modules, this should reach the same goal you fixed yourself, but in a considerably simpler fashion.
Jun 28, 2013 at 12:21 AM
Betrand, could you point me to the other thread on this forum you speak of? Thanks.
Coordinator
Jul 1, 2013 at 1:34 AM
Sure, let me search that for you: https://orchard.codeplex.com/discussions/304350 But you found it already, it seems.
Jul 1, 2013 at 1:49 AM
Ah yes, that has been almost my sole resource! Would you have the email address of someone that has managed to set it up by any chance? They might be able to give me the last clue I need. Thanks.
Coordinator
Jul 1, 2013 at 1:57 AM
I'm sorry, no. Codeplex has a feature that enables you to contact another user however. You might want to try that.