Asp.Net Webforms User Controls

Topics: General
Jun 13, 2013 at 4:39 PM
Hi:

I have built a solution based on Asp.Net Webforms set up as User Controls because I was planning to use Telerik Sitefinity as my CMS. The original versions of Sitefinity required you to use c# webform user controls to create your custom modules that can be loaded onto Sitefinity pages (I know they now allow MVC as well, but this happened after I was well into my project development). My intent is to use my user controls for all of my form entry, but wrap these data entry forms inside of CMS content pages. I know I can do this with Sitefinity, but it now appears that Orchard has progressed to the point where it might be a better solution for our application.

So, my question is: can I use Orchard and load my webform user controls as modules like I can in Sitefinity? I know Orchard is based on MVC so perhaps not. So, if I need to use user controls, is Orchard not a viable option? If my user controls can work inside of Orchard, is there any quality documentation and/ or tutorials on how to do this? Or because of the MVC base and direction, will I always be out of sync with the direction of Orchard? Lastly, if Orchard can handle my user control, can it also handle situations where I have a user control that calls another user control: e.g. Because I am using Telerik Asp.Net RadControls in my user controls, I have many situations where I have a Radgrid to show table data, then allow the user to use a separate popup edit user control for adds and changes. Would this scenario work if these were part of an Orchard page?

Thanks for any feedback, Dan
Jun 18, 2013 at 4:13 PM
Jun 18, 2013 at 4:21 PM
i think there is webform view engine in orchard<=1.6 , from which you can dev ur Module to fit web control purpose, such as " handle situations where I have a user control that calls another user control", for future orchard, i think it is not worth focusing on .net web control, acctually , i almost forgot it.
Developer
Jun 18, 2013 at 4:40 PM
WebForm view engine is going away with Orchard 1.7. You'll be able to copy the code back from 1.6, but it won't be neither maintained nor a part of the core anymore.
Coordinator
Jun 26, 2013 at 6:41 AM
WebForms view engine is not the same as WebForm WebControls. Controls rely on the postback infrastructure from classical ASP.NET, which won't play nice with MVC and Orchard. So no, that won't work, not in any useful way. You should go on with Sitefinity or rewrite.