User Task Activity in Workflow in 1.7

Topics: Administration
Jun 5, 2013 at 8:25 PM
The new Workflow module looks wonderful, great work!

I can't seem to figure out how use the User Task activity. I've specified the Authenticated Users role, specified actions (I just made up a few), wired up activities as a result of these actions - my workflow executes just fine, holds at the user task activity as I'd expect, but I can't see any way to perform the task that the workflow is holding on!

Any pointers?

Thanks!
Jun 5, 2013 at 8:36 PM
Use the force, read the source.

All is now clear. Pardon my last, Happy Wednesday, and I'm very much looking forward to the 1.7 release!
Jul 17, 2013 at 2:48 PM
Because others will likely stumble upon this post like I did, I am providing further explanation.

I looked through the source for an extended period of time without really finding it. I later stumbled upon how it works so I will share what I observed to save everyone else a hassle. The User Task activity works great on admin items; it injects the additional "actions" you define as buttons into the admin content item you are working on.

For example, if you have an "Approve" and a "Disapprove" action on a "Page Published" event, when you publish a "Page" in the admin area and then scroll down to the bottom, you will see two new buttons. The catch-22 is that it doesn't tell you that you should look there. So, it seems to me it is best to pair it up with an alert at the top of the page saying "This is part of a User Task Workflow, please scroll to the bottom of the page to complete the workflow".

Outside that, you are at least notified visually if you look at the content item in the "Content" list. There you can see any associated workflows that needs handled.

Hope some of this is informative.
Aug 8, 2013 at 4:04 PM
Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for digging into the source for those of us that aren't coders. I am linking this post to my original request for documentation; it's sad that something gets released with little/no information on it.