Module / Module Configuration not available after Upgrade to 1.6.1 (from 1.5)

Topics: Administration, General, Installing Orchard
May 24, 2013 at 2:16 PM
Hi

I updated our Orchard site to 1.6.1. We have an Azure deployment which runs on a web role. Therefore I downloaded the newest source. I added the custom themes and modules as described in the documentation (http://docs.orchardproject.net/Documentation/Upgrading-a-site-to-a-new-version-of-Orchard) and published the updated package.

The site now runs with the new version but the modules are not working anymore (i.e. Google Analytics, Vandelay Favicon, etc.) The settings section for those modules has also been removed from the admin menu. Enable / disable does not bring them back. Switching back to the old version (staging environment), will let the modules work again but they do not show up in the settings screens.

How can the modules be restored? There has not been any message to update a module or something like that.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Cheers,
Marc
May 24, 2013 at 11:09 PM
Perhaps an exception is occurring. If so, you should be able t see them in the logs.
May 28, 2013 at 6:35 PM
Hi

Thank you for your answer. Sorry for asking such a silly question. The azure version of Orchard should write the logs into the Table Storage, right? I have not got any log entries since the update. Is there any action required to enable to logs?
May 29, 2013 at 3:27 PM
I don't think so, but then again I've never worked with Orchard in an Azure web role, sorry. Can you download the site and run it locally using an Azure web role simulation?
May 29, 2013 at 7:47 PM
The logging configuration (Azure Diagnistics) seems to be ok. Perhaps there is nothing to log. If I am running the site locally in Azure emulator, it is the same situation. The site works, but some modules do not work. If I am using the same code base with a clean database, the modules just work. Could it be that something happened to the configuration data in the database? Is there any possibility to reinitialize a module or to check the database for integrity?

If it won't work, we have to re-setup the whole website. But if there is a solution to fix the database I would prefer this one. If there is no possibility to fix the database, what is the best solution to recover the content? Using the Import/Export module?
May 29, 2013 at 11:42 PM
Edited May 29, 2013 at 11:42 PM
I don't know. It does sound like a database integrity issue. I would attach a debugger and have it break on Thrown exceptions. If no exceptions are thrown, I would debug one of the features that you expect to show up and find out why it's not showing up.

Yes, Import/Export is a good way to move content over.
Jun 3, 2013 at 6:32 PM
Edited Jun 3, 2013 at 6:51 PM
I finally solved this issue. We had an error in our Azure build script, so only the halve of the additional modules were deployed (the dll was not copied during the build). Interesting enough, there is no check if the module is consistent. So the module was listed as installed and no error was indicated, but obviously it didn't work.

I'm really sorry for bothering you. It was complete my fault by not having checked the azure build to work correctly.