Multi tenancy in load balancer scenario

Topics: Administration, General, Installing Orchard, Troubleshooting
May 9, 2013 at 9:24 PM
I am currently working with v1.6 of Orchard and am using the multi tenancy. I would like to understand how this can work within a load balanced implementation with 4 web servers.

If I attempt to create a new tenant, this will create the required folders on 1 web server (all tenants will point at the same database) but what is the best way to ensure that all the required settings are synchronized to the other servers in the farm?

After some preliminary testing, it would seem that the only files required are:
  • the new folder for the tenant
  • the settings.txt file
if both of these files are present orchard appears to 'self heal' the rest.

I would like to understand what the best way to manage to (can I just copy the files in the list above? what issues might I come up against if I do)?

Also, how many tenants are users currently able to support? I have seen a post that has hosted 27, but are there Orchard instances that are hosting many more than this (I would like to host over 100 tenants all pointing to the same database). What are the upper boundaries and what site degradation can I expect when I begin to hit the limit.

Apologies, there are a lot questions in the above. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
May 9, 2013 at 9:28 PM
You might want to create or use a module with a service similar as the Azure Shell Settings Manager. On azure it will store the settings information in a shared location (blob storage). This way all nodes of the farm are using the same settings, and when a tenant is created, it will be handled by all of them.

In your case it could be as simple as a shared folder.
May 9, 2013 at 9:38 PM
Is this similar to the media folder module that allows for a shared location for media files?

I can understand the concept of having a shared location for the tenancy files. Have I included a full list of these? What other settings should I consider?